An Adventure In Bad Circumstances

A/N sorry, this chapter is pretty long....he a whopper. Guess it's my thing now to write super long chapters then disappear back into the void.

Also it is Midori's birthday today so please consider how cute it would be for baby girl to learn about birthdays.

"She tries to kill me every single week, sometimes more! And- and now it's my problem to get her back because-" Amabilis cut off.
He looked at Peggy, Crystal and Stellaluna, awkwardly staring at him as he ranted.
"You want to live with that?! When I said I wanted her out of my hair I meant far far away! Not with you imbeciles!"

Stellaluna rolled her eyes, zipping up her jacket (Amabilis disapproved of such an idea, the open Society X jacket is a statement piece.)
"Well, are you going to come?" She asked, gruffly as she pushed open the front door.

Amabilis paused.
"Of course I am."
he walked to the door, Magenta at his side, unemotional as usual.

Stellaluna punched Amabilis in the arm playfully.
"Ladies first." She joked.

He raised an eyebrow and stepped out the door before Stellaluna, then Peggy, then Crystal.

Amabilis guided his fledglings through his yard to the forest edge and scanned their expressions for fear or determination.
Crystal and Peggy showed both.
Stellaluna on the other hand seemed oddly excited about this little adventure, especially considering what happened to Midori.

The forest branches were high on most of the trees, and they weren't pines so the fear of getting stabbed with sticks and pine needles was nonexistent.
Forests where you can't see through the trees are often portrayed as scary, but maybe it's scarier when you can see. If anyone questionable were to cross their path, Society X and Stellaluna's friends(?) would all see them, and it'd be a wild run for their lives.
Stellaluna cleared her mind of that thought, and persevered through the thick wood, where occasional clearings and stones lay on the ground

A distant animal skittered by and Amabilis' hand shot to his gun, which rested against his hip. He was jumpy for such an aloof guy.

"Amabilis." Magenta raised her voice.
"If we do see Midori...are we shooting or not?"

Amabilis' brow furrowed, he looked straight ahead seeming frustrated.
"We'll do what we need to." He said through a clenched jaw.

Crystal sensed his frustration and tried to ease the tension.
"I just wanted you to know we'll take care of Midori! We'll give her food and water and pets and we'll spoil her like grandparents! She will be totally out of your hair!"

Amabilis grunted as he glared at the younger girl.
"I don't care."

Crystal looked puzzled but persisted.
"So- I'm really confused- why do you two hate each other?"

Amabilis tensed.
"She....hurt someone I care about."

Crystal took a moment to think before she looked up at Amabilis again.
"Really? It probably wasn't on purpose! I was scared of her just like you before!!"
Amabilis' hands curled into fists and he bit his lip, he wasn't going to yell at this kid, he wasn't going to-
"I think really she's scared of herself, Midori has potential to be a normal person, she's just...scared! I hope-"

Amabilis turned to face Crystal, he snapped
"You don't even know her!" The forest went dead silent save Stellaluna's dragging feet over long fallen leaves.
He didn't want to yell at Crystal, afraid he'd terrify her. But he glared at Peggy, she was the one who convinced Crystal and Stellaluna this was okay.
"You're too forgiving. Some people can't be good. She broke into your house and attacked you and you let her stay!"