Chapter three: The bad and the good

Chapter three:  The bad and the good

Snow

She led the way and I followed her bat propped up onto her right shoulder like she was waiting for something to happen, yet again she seemed relaxed about the entire situation. “My dad has a safe house” I stated and watched while she took out a couple creepers along the way with her bat and had I not seen it with my own eyes I wouldn’t have believed such a sweet woman was capable of such thing.  I didn’t know how but the way she put them to their finally rest with a bat to the head was almost innocent. She would smack them hard enough to finish them off and go right back to walking, and whistling like she hadn’t harmed a thing; if it had been me I would have had to look at it to at least acknowledge that I did it, and that it was dead.

She acted like she hadn’t heard a word I said as she lead the way into her small tidy yellow painted house located almost at the complete opposite end of town than where I came from. I didn’t like the idea of being away from my things and with the way she locked her house door with a key on the inside I wasn’t sure I should have trusted her at all.

She set her bat down by the door and turned to me with a smile on her chubby wrinkly face and said “showers in there dear…and please remove your boots.”

I took my boots off just because I needed to so I could shower but there was no way I wasn’t putting them back on when I got out. I stripped off my dirty clothing and hung it over the sink while looking at myself in the full length mirror I realized how dirty I was in this moment.

The water was cold but I ignored it making a lather of soap in my hand as I heard the door I was sure I locked squeak as it opened and I said “hello” recalling now that I didn’t know the woman’s name or why she’d be living out here all alone.  When I didn’t get an answer I cleared my throat “hello, someone there?” I didn’t like the feeling that rushed over me, or the goose bumps that suddenly claimed every inch of my skin, and the fact that the door had re-shut and I heard it re- lock.

Not even sure I was completely soap free I quick rinsed then climbed out of the shower. Grabbing the towel off the hook just outside the bath tub I patted my face and looked over to the sink blinking my eyes. Knowing I had left my gun there, as with my jeans and my bullets that were in the pockets, my bra and my shirt. My stuff had been replaced with something that my grandmother would have worn. “Shit” I breathed out loud almost panicking pacing back and forth across the cold wet tile floor.

I didn’t have much choice I either pull on the night gown with nothing under it or I go out there naked so I pulled on the nighty and unlocked the door noticing that it had a keying entry I growled loudly then shouted rudely “I would like my things, you had no right taking them.” As I spotted her in the kitchen setting the table for three people, and, she didn’t even take notice to me so I tried again. “Look Ma’am I would like my things you had no right taking them.”  Calling her ma’am at this point was more respect than I thought she deserved.

“Well now we can’t have the hostility now can we” she stated perkily “no guns and I figured we’d wash your grunge clothes and return them.