Chapter one: Flash back

Snow

For some reason only fate could know at this point, the forest is the only part of the diminishing world that is unscathed, and untouched by the catastrophic apocalypse that took over most of the world in less than a week, and the entire US in less than two days. But it would only be a matter of time before people started burning it to the ground. Winter would be here soon, and here I was making a bed on the moss covered ground out of pine branches and leaves.  In front of a huge oak tree and this is where I will sleep tonight.

Breathing in the thick with moisture forest air I lay back against the huge red oak tree that grew far into the Hiawatha National forest. The pine branches where prickly but it was better than the wet moss covered ground. The forest floor seemed to roll peacefully over the ground while I looked over it, to my right, to my left, and then straight in front of me.

It had been a little under two weeks since the world met its end, and the human kind met what will be our demise. Either way the President promised to have it all under control within two weeks of the break out. I knew that we were doomed when two days after all shit hit the fan the dead were roaming the streets and what was left of humanity after all the panic was doing the same as me. Either hiding it out in the woods or somewhere they believed to be safe, or praying to die in their sleep and not become Creeper bait, or to wake up safely to fear another day.

 I knew that when I woke in the morning I would have to leave the peacefulness and head into Baraga at first light because I needed gas and supplies my survival counted on it, and I depended on it.

Staring up into the star filled sky through the tree tops briefly before I closed my eyes and let the sound of the breeze through the leaves sooth me and fresh forest air almost relax me and I start to remember what led me to this point, and, why I was alone.

The president of the United States promised that they would soon regain control over our diminishing country that was over a week ago. The man I shot in the hospital parking lot the day the virus hit the streets and we left for our safe house. Everything I had seen and debated with my father about along the way.  The arguments, the fights, and leaving to find Kris and my mom dying, my dad and Lynx leaving to find a doctor and returning to late, and, me pointing my gun at my father’s head before I left telling him “if you fallow me I will shoot you” I blamed him.

I opened my eyes knowing that I would do nothing more than rest my eyes tonight, but some rest is better than none at all.

**

The screaming sound of my quads engine echoed through the trees as I weaved quickly through them headed out of the forest. It sounded a bit like the forest was a virgin to such a machine. I watched everywhere for everything I didn’t want any surprises. But, as I drove I wondered how many other people might be out here like me, or if there would be anyone else.

I reached the road just as I had planned but what I seen when I got there I hadn’t expected the huge jam was clogging up both sides of the street headed in either direction and it was much worse than the last town I had went through.  I took in my surrounding while I steered the quad through the abandoned vehicles and by the way it looked everyone here had been in a panic, a frenzied panic at that.

The only thing on my mind now that I look over everything again as I slowly drive through the chaos. The shoes, the blood, the supplies, and tools strewn out all over the place, nothing in its correct place made me wonder what exactly happened here, and if all of this was here where were the people at that this stuff belonged to? I knew though by the looks of everything that nothing good happened here, and it was bad enough that I didn’t want to think about it and, I knew if anyone survived this massacre it wouldn’t have been many people at all.