Chapter six: Meeting him, meeting her

Chapter six:  Meeting him, meeting her

Snow

Looking down at the idiot beneath my foot I cleared my throat and said “I should probably warn you that I am not in the mood for shit, and, while I am most certain that you grew up a normal life had a decent child hood and all that… I grew up with a father who taught me nothing outside of the ways of this world, the world we are currently living in.” I looked up at him his face looked amused in that moment and though I didn’t feel threatened I did feel threatened by the man he called Tim. So I added “and, I may weigh one hundred and twenty pounds sopping wet” I looked down at Tim “it is not beneath me to do this same thing to you.”

Tim grabbed my ankle my guess was so he could try to take me down so I pushed a little harder until I heard him gasping for breathes and, I looked back to Slayer to make sure he didn’t move, or that he was planning to sneak one over on me. But he was still stood where he was when I noticed him.

I started talking again hoping to ease my nerves, I didn’t like the situation, and I felt uncomfortable in that moment. “You have to be at least a foot taller than me and you probably got seventy pounds on me, plus you wear that baggy sweater and I am still aware that you are muscular and I don’t want to kill your friend here Slayer, but I promise you that if I don’t get the water I came here for and freaking candy bar, and get to leave safely I will.”

He snickered a bit then replied “I do not doubt for one second, that you would do just that” he cleared his throat. The sound of his voice had me thankful that I stopped and borrowed some better fitting clothes on my way out of Baraga, because the thought of him seeing me in that night gown would have been humiliating.  He added “I will not hurt you” while bending to pick up the bottles of water I dropped “and I will not let him hurt you.” Now handing them towards me “My name is J.P the people I am camped with call me Slayer.” He said getting closer, Tim gagging beneath the pressure of my foot. It was then that I realized the huge gash beneath Slayer’s left eye.  While his dark brown eyes stared at me I felt his foot on top of mine. “Take your water, and go” he took a breath and stated “I will make sure you get away from here safely.”

Even though I felt safe and it was something I hadn’t felt in awhile I still hesitated to remove my foot. I knew that the caring, the devotion, the promise and the truth I saw in J.P’s dark brown eyes were not a lie and he meant his every word.

“Slayer you tar head” Tim groaned while wiggling beneath J.P’s foot.

I looked back up at J.p who was still staring at me, and holding Tim to the floor, I blinked and thought for a moment before I said “there is a little jog up that way passed the bar…If you go there alone” I cleared my throat still walking backwards watching them “I will throw a couple of stitches in that cut and give it a good medical cleaning.” I felt a faint smile claiming my lips as there was something about J.P that appealed to me, he gave me an approving nod and I was out the door faster than I went in it, forgetting my water.

I heard his shout “don’t fire that weapon it draws them in” just as the door swung back to shut.

*

I started back up the street the same way I had come from stopping only to pick up a thick stick heading J.p’s warning about the noise drawing them in, it did make sense, perfect sense.  Making it back to my stuff in no time at all with the small bag filled with jerky and candy bars and some other things of the same aspect, but, I felt really stupid about forgetting the water like an idiot.  I knew I had let my guard down again because I felt I owed J.P, a little gratitude for what he did back there because had he not shown up I might have shot the guy, or ended up dead myself.