Chapter eight: No, backing down

Chapter eight:  No, backing down

Snow

I went back to stitching Chocolates forehead before Tim said “it’s a dog eat dog world sweet pea” with an evil laugh “only the strong will survive.”

Tying of the stitch, glad I had the antiseptic because had I had to do it without, the kid would have been crying her head off. “Look Tim” I sighed not wanting to get into this. “I know what the world is like out there” I stated calmly “and I can guarantee you that if I was to meet you in a dark alley alone, you wouldn’t be the one walking away.”

I wasn’t quiet holding myself together anymore and I knew if I didn’t get out of here and soon something was going to snap and nothing would end well. I didn’t need to cry in front of these strangers and I sure in hell didn’t need them judging me. “Alright sure shot” J.P said getting my attention “I thought you wanted to make sure she was alright” he pointed out and I realized it was me he was calling sure shot.

“I did that” I whispered “and now I will be going” I sighed “you can explain to me the reasoning behind the nick name on our way out” I breathed realizing I just assumed he was going to go back to the post office with me…

“Well yea I don’t know you name, and you are sure of yourself” he answered, and I in this moment I was everything but sure of myself but I wasn’t going to admit that.  Just as J.P added you pack that pistol like it is your best friend, so sure shot fits.” I felt a small warm hand grab the tips of my fingers and hold on tight.

Trying to pull my fingers free by wiggling them I said “I will be going now” taking a breath, my eyes looking at the floor “her head wound is pretty bad, you should probably keep an eye on it, because if she is to fall asleep she may not wake up.”

Tears sneaking over my eye lids at the recollection of my mother, I wasn’t able to save her the least I could do is help save this girl –that they call chocolate.  I looked over at her and there was still a sparkle in her eyes but maybe that was because of the blur in mine and J.P asked “are you alright?”

I nodded without looking up and I noticed how filthy the little girl was “do you guys have a source of water around here?” I asked and stated “maybe she can go with me tomorrow and we can wash up…She looks like Tarzan” I stated honestly.

“Yea there is a creek just east of here” J.P answered “I will take you there first thing in the morning.” He knew as well as I did I wasn’t going to leave town without knowing the girl was ok first, that was the least I could do.

Tim snorted, interrupting “look nurse Molly” two of the other woman standing there snickered and he kept on “she is fine, and has been since getting here, so I am sure we can manage from here and you can see your way out.”

I didn’t hesitate to respond “I can see that I am not welcome here” I didn’t let it disappoint me; I didn’t want to be here.

But her fingers grabbed mine once again, only this time she whispered “Please don’t go, I like you” her voice clammy, and she was choking on breaths and, when I looked down at her cute chubby dirty face I was in awe…