12. A Rival

Medley Stryder's POV

Things are moving faster than I expected it to. It's been two weeks since I started the baking business. Turns out Robert's the biggest fan and is on the top of my customer's list. Lis and Ayla are really helpful. I'm so blessed to have them.

Ken was really surprised but was grateful. He protested that it would hinder my studies. Nevertheless I just pushed it aside. These past few days were spent on visiting Tom and Martin. They welcomed us warmly and as one of them.

Robert has finally sorted out my outfit genre. It includes semi-casual, formal and semi-formal.
The cosmetics that he gave me to use are working wonders on my skin. It feels flawless and with a certain glow.

"Hey Med!! Hurry!" It was Lis gesturing me to come over our usual spot in the college cafeteria. As soon as I'm seated, I see sneaky smiles on Ayla and Lis' faces. Something's fishy.

"Check this out." Ayla puts a magazine in front of me with excitement. It's our college's latest issue. It has the events planned out to be followed. What caught my eyes sent me shivers down the spine.

In front of me were the pictures of contestants for the college runway show cum Miss Popular contest.
I must be dreaming. I see my picture as one among the contestants, numbered 17 with a description below.

Medley Stryder: A nineteen year old aspiring to top the college. She's a hidden gem and may be easily misunderstood owing to her outer appearance but as it is often quoted "..looks can be deceiving.. "
So brace yourselves. She's also an excellent baker with a sweet personality. Now isn't that tempting? Make sure to choose wisely!

I still can't process what just happened. I looked at both of them to give me an explanation.
Ayla starts "Med! Stephen personally came and requested us to sign you in. And saying "no" to him was out of question!"
Lis adds " And.. Stephen and I are playmates... He's a nice guy... " I see a tint of pink shade on her cheeks. Stephen's the notorious playboy of the college with irresistible charms and filthy rich. He's the underhand of Robert.

They're so adorable right now. I can't help but hide a smile. Well.. I can't let them off easily though.
I fold my hands and give them an accusing look.
"But why that picture?" Both of them were surprised and I couldn't control my laughter anymore. We all burst out laughing.

"Well.. Lis decided on the picture. She thought it would be good to show your old self....and I wrote the description!" She wiggled her eyebrows at me. Gosh.. These girls!

Ken approaches us with the magazine in his hands.
"Hey girls! Med! I'm amazed that you're taking part in the contest!" He said it all in one go and takes a seat.

"Well.. I'm quite surprised myself." I shoot the both of them an accusing look.

Robert's penthouse...

"I can't believe you're the one behind this!" I look disbelievingly at him.

He's got a smirk " Well.. I need to showcase my talents" and that's all I get as a reply.

I retort back "Well then, I expect you to do better in your academics." That made him stop smirking. Hah! Got you!

"Deal." What? He agreed?? I've known him for two months now. Yeah.. Two months since we made the deal. He's been arrogant and dominating. But this came out unexpected.

Now that I think... Why did he agree to help me? He's the most popular guy in college while in contrast I'm the nerd of the college who's better off being ignored. Not that I'm unhappy. But it's unbelievable. He's filthy rich and could get the best tutors in the world but opted for me to help him.
My life has taken a completely different path. I may never be able to find out why he chose to help me.... But I'll be forever grateful to him.

Guess my day just started and ended. I'm a few blocks away from the gate when I see Ken coming out of his car and going to the passenger seat holding out his hand for someone.

I feel like I'm getting crushed at the moment. A girl emerges out from the car. She's really pretty with black hair and flawless skin. I feel under-dressed in my tee and jeans with a pair of sneakers while she's wearing a sleeveless top with a skirt stopping just above her knees and exposing her long legs wearing a pair of high heels. They both head inside the college without taking notice of me.

I head inside to look for Ayla and Lis but too late, the bell rang and I had to attend my first class. We all had different classes so I couldn't meet any of them.

Finally after a long drag of classes, the most awaited hour came; break!

As soon as we three were seated, Ayla burst out "You've got a competitor Med." Lis nodding in the background.

Here comes.. A rival for me. And I already feel defeated.

A/N:

That's it for now! I hope you enjoyed reading? Well.. I couldn't put much elements to spice it up. But hopefully in the next update, there'll be some competition! Oooohhh.. I like the sound of it! 😆😜

Corrections are most welcome!

Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Vote. Comment. Share!