Two-Story Fall Part 1

Erhmergerd...

***

 A thrilling feeling was back in Brian's heart after their interactions of mentoring. He invited her over every day to keep on the project. Each day their bonding grew stronger and stronger, they were great friends- partners- you could say they were close.

Only, Brian thought one day as it rained, he was shelfing books away that he took out for Alice to look at, she had left hours before, I've asked if she wanted to room here, why does she persist in saying no?

He made his way down the stairs, there was almost no echo because of the sound the thunder and rain made outside. The first time there was no echo in a week. The big empty house with his life on the walls- but no one else to share it with. He felt boxed in.

The TV was on, although he stared past it and watched memories instead. He thought about Alice among other things.

 She was charming, with a childish quality where she was fearless and would point anything out to you- one day she'd say he was a total ass; next she'd compliment how he's so unique compared to anyone else in the world. At times she adolized him. Brian could say the same about her.

He was in his sweet spot on the couch, The Real World NY came on. Bad TV. Yess...

There was a total slut who had black mascara streaked down to her bright red cheek bones. She introduced herself to the camera and said she was nineteen.

"Feh. Yeah right." he murmured. "She looks way older than that. . ."

*

The cab rolled up to the hotel blazing with warm light. The tires sloshed in a puddle and water racked up to the windows.

"Thank you for taking me to the mall, Berkely." I said to the driver. He was as spiff and orderly as ever, he looks like a penguin when he sits up so straight.

"You're quite a'welkom, there, Alice." said he.

Berkely has asked me to stop paying fare. He said- poetically -that since I was doing such a great job with chasing my dreams (meaning painting for the prince of England) that I should fret over twelve dollars a day.

"I bought something for you." I was pulling out his gift and through the corner of my eye I could see a doorman rushing up to my cab to let me out. I took out a fine Forest-green Cardigan scarf that cost me almost $90. "Here ya go."

Christmas came early for Berkely. He said a million thank yous and donned it right away.

The cab door opened. A tall -rather ugly looking, if you asked me -man stood in my vicinity with an umbrella opened and pointed to the sky.

"I'll help ya to your room with those bags, there, miss." Said the doorman.

"Thank you!"

We scuttled to the revolving doors of the five star hotel, the street was deeper and the cold rainwater froze my ankles. We were in. The door man shook the umbella and I handed him my shopping bags. 

In the elevator, he asked me why I've stayed here so long.

"I'm long-distance travelling." not giving away alot. But still.

"Where are you from?"

"America."

"No offense, miss, but I could tell that."

"You could? How?"

"Not many of our homeland girls look the way you do. Some are brunette, some are ginger. But none are both."

He reached over and touched my hair, looking at it. I pulled away startled just as the bell dinged and the doors opened to my floor.

"Uh, thanks. I'll take my stuff from here-"

"Nonsense." he declared, taking my bags from me.

I raced after him. He knew where my room was and right away he opened it with a skeleton key. I looked down at the key, he shoved it in his pocket. I was almost reluctant to go inside. But he handed me my things and insisted that I had a good night's sleep.

"Uh. . thanks. You too, " I looked at his name tag, "Jakob."

***

I've decided to bring back the fact that Alice is going to meet the new prince.

Gasp! Suspense!