Chapter Nine

With a coronation in two weeks, the Princess had much on her hands. Maids flocked the castle corridors and halls, decking the palace with beautiful and carefully ornated decorations. The staff chatted away happily, graced by the fact that the Bourgeois family would no longer be ruling. However, a certain conversation with her new advisor, Tikki (the fairy godmother was overjoyed to hear that her master had embraced her real responsibilities), had caught her full attention.

(In case you didn't realize that this was a transition, it is. This next paragraph is her conversation with Tikki, referred above.)

"You must have a lot on your mind what with the coronation, your highness," Tikki said, dipping her head into a bow as she gracefully entered through the door to Marinette's official room. Marinette tossed her carefully combed hair back.

"Please," she insisted, waving her hand as if she were shooing the thought away, "call me Marinette. You are by far the dearest person to me, almost family. You shouldn't have to be bothered by formalities. And, yes, I suppose it is quite difficult to plan a coronation."

Tikki smiled, genuine and bright. "The dress looks lovely on you, dear." She gestured to the pink and white dress worn by Marinette, long and beautiful. It was embellished by crystal clear jewels around the bottom. 

"Oh!" Marinette lifted her skirts, examining her own dress. "This! It's just... mandatory for me... as a Princess. I have one for you, too!" Marinette practically tripped over herself, racing towards the closet. She emerged with a stunning black and red dress, rimmed with golden ribbon. "How is it? I made this one myself with the materials in the castle!"

Tikki let out a breath she didn't know she was holding. It was a lovely dress; too fancy for any girl, be it Princess or commoner. "It's beautiful. Wonderfully crafted." Tikki took the dress from her, running her fingers along the seams. She looked up. "Thank you, Marinette."

The bluenette beamed, her face gleaming with pride. "Of course, Tikki. Now. You had an important matter to discuss?" Marinette smoothed out her skirts and sat on her bed, patting the space next to her. Tikki sat, setting the long dress beside her.

"As you know, I'm your advisor and everything I suggest is for your own good." The fairy godmother clutched Marinette's hands in her own.

"I'm aware. I trust you, Tikki."

Tikki smiled and continued, "If you are to ascend to the throne, the citizens would expect... an arrangement." Marinette raised an eyebrow.

"Of what sort?"

"Say... marriage?" Tikki winced as Marinette's eyes grew as big as saucers. "I know you must think I'm being ridiculous, but, as a Princess, you're at an age where you must find a suitor. Besides, there is also the question of a future heir to the throne." Marinette's breathing quickened. "However, you may have some time to consider my proposal, since this is a big decision. It can be arranged or chosen. Perhaps you have someone in mind?"

A long moment of silence stretched for what felt like forever. Marinette bit her lip. "Tikki, you're right. I just... need some time to collect myself. I'll be with you shortly for tea." Tikki inclined her head softly and left, taking the dress with her.

Marinette rubbed her head. That had been nearly three hours ago. Outside had always been such a calming word. It did the Princess good to stroll through the castle gardens, the soft breeze tossing her midnight blue hair to the side, the wind whispering on her porcelain skin. She sighed. 

She had decided to change into her fencing attire, which she had made herself. The castle didn't have any fitting fencing attire for women, so Marinette, using her designer side, stitched it herself. It resembled her Ladybug costume, minus the hat, the belt, and the black and red. It was a soft light pink color, a color that spoke to her. 

With a red ribbon, she tied her hair into a ponytail, letting herself relax. She hadn't practiced her fencing in ages, and it was obvious from her last Akuma fight that she was rusty.

She unsheathed her sword, smiling at the metallic sound that she was so familiar with. She bent it a couple of times, testing it, preparing, ready to dance in the arena. When she was completely ready, she headed towards the arena, her fencing dress flowing in the wind. 

She fought against a robotic opponent a few times, beads of perspiration forming on her forehead. It wasn't until maybe the eighth match with the robot that she realized she wasn't alone. Someone else was there in the next arena down, fighting with another robotic opponent. Suddenly, the robot whirred and shut down. She glanced to her side, hearing a voice.

"Nothing?" He asked, his voice wavering. He was low on hope. His search had continued for three days now. "Have you checked the palaces?"

"No, sir," It was another male, older. "We thought we'd find her among the richer folk. We had no luck." The first man sighed.

"Ruth, I never said to just search the rich. I ordered for there to be people sent to each and every house to find the lady. You've come back from a three-day search having only searched the 'richer folk'. How am I supposed to find her if you don't carefully follow my orders?"

"Sir, your father demands that the girl be rich for our personal gain. What benefits will a love marriage produce other than a half-blood child?" The first man growled.

"My father cannot keep me under his finger forever. Find her and follow my orders. She was the girl of my dreams, Ruth. I'm not going to lose her like this." Marinette watched their shadows. Ruth nodded before walking away. She had recognized that first man's voice. Prince Adrien. She hadn't seen him since her confession.

She pushed aside the opening to the arena to reveal another arena. Adrien stood in the middle in a fencing uniform, blonde hair tussled to the side, drenched in sweat. "Prince Adrien." Marinette bowed, lifting the ends of her skirt. Adrien smiled as he saw her approach.

"Your Highness. What a pleasant surprise!"