Chapter Eleven

"'Tis a sad day when we grieve at the loss of the royal family. Queen Sabine Cheng, the stunning and caring queen of Paris. King Tom Dupain, the brave and noble king of Paris. And last, Princess Marinette Dupain-Cheng." From across the graveyard built especially for royal families, the priest focused his gaze on specifically Marinette. "The coward who ran from everything her parents built."

Everyone turned, facing Marinette with narrowed eyes and angry expressions. "Coward, coward, coward." They chanted.

Marinette's head swam as the chanting got louder and louder and louder and louder. It was so... so... 

She woke up with a start, allowing the last bits of the already faded dream to fall away. She started to get up, to shake off the soft linen that she knew she didn't deserve. She had left her kingdom to rot in the hands of Chloe Bourgeois without a second glance. Now, she had come back for that very reason.

She pulled herself out of bed, freshening up in the bathroom and taking a hot shower that melted her cares away. She had eventually come back and that was all that mattered.

As she tugged on a loose, silky sweater, an undershirt, and long pants, she noticed something on the vanity. She stepped closer, examining the flowers with careful consideration. A light blue tag on the arrangement caught her attention.

To the loveliest princess with the sweetest advice.
-Adrien

Marinette smiled, leaning in to sniff the flowers. To her surprise, her nose tickled and she sneezed out loud, blinking away watery eyes. She looked at the flowers again. Morning glories.

Adrien had no idea that she had an allergy to that specific type of flower. She'd just have to sneak it into their next conversation. The thought of talking to him again sent a shiver down her spine. She loved how happy he made her feel.

"Your Highness-"

"Sabrina, what are you used to? What did Chloe do when she was your Princess?" Sabrina looked genuinely confused.

"I beg your pardon?" Marinette waited. Sabrina thought for a moment. "She was my only friend. I wasn't allowed to leave the castle or I'd be fired, but she offered me company. She gave my father a job in the royal guard. She was kind, despite her cold outer shell."

Marinette inclined her head. "She must have had you call her 'your highness', then?" It was Sabrina's turn to nod. "We'll have no more of that, Sabrina. From now on, you may stay at one of our guest suites with your father. You'll refer to me as Marinette. None of that fancy royalty stuff, okay?"

Sabrina's eyes swam with tears. "Thank you, Marinette." She managed, smiling as wide as she possibly could. "I will stand by you till the end of your generation's reign. Long live the queen." She scurried away, practically bouncing on the balls of her feet.

*****

"It is to the royal family's dismay that they must announce that Adrien Agreste's quest to find Ladybug has proved unfruitful," Nadja Chamack, the news reporter, read the paper in front of her, eyes bright. The live broadcast was displayed on every TV and the king himself had shown up for it, along with his son. "However, there's still a problem regarding Adrien's marriage. In order for an alliance to be formed, the royal family welcomes all of the nobles in the land."

Alya nudged Marinette a little too hard. "You have to go, girl!" Marinette forced a smile and returned her attention to the TV.

"I must thank Princess Marinette and the former royal family for allowing us to have a pleasant stay in Paris, France. Thank you for the hospitality." Gabriel said flatly, appearing on the TV. That was the end of the broadcast and Marinette silently switched the TV off.

"I don't think I can keep this secret any longer," Marinette gestured to her earrings. "Adrien means a lot to me and I don't know what I'd do if he were hurt. Emotionally or physically. I can't imagine the defeat he feels right now. Maybe his father will have comforted him?"

"He's a ruthless king, Marinette," Alya stared straight in front of her. The bluenette turned, glancing at her friend with a curious expression. "He doesn't care for anyone except nobles, he hates going outside, he executes anyone who defies him or his family, he makes people cower in front of him. I heard he isn't even all that caring towards his son. Some suspect that he's Hawkmoth."

Marinette stifled her surprise. "How could he possibly be Hawkmoth? A king risking everything to be a criminal? What possible motives could he have?"

"Resurrection." Marinette and Alya both whirled around, unaware of another in the room. Tikki. "He could use the miraculouses, the ultimate power, to bring back Emilie Agreste. He hasn't been the same since he lost her."

"Adrien talked to me about that," Marinette murmured

"Emilie was such an amazing queen. She was sweet, considerate, confident, she loved her people and ruled them fairly. Why did she marry such a horrible king?"

"He wasn't a king before he married Emilie. He was a peasant; left on the streets. Rumour has it she caught him trying to steal from her and she tried to help him. She wanted to make a difference in the world. She married him because they fell in love. That was around the same time when La Paon was still our superheroine." Tikki replied, sighing as she sat down next to Alya on the couch.

Marinette continued working on her sewing. "Do you think there's a connection? Maybe she was La Paon and she gave him the butterfly miraculous? Maybe she passed away and he was determined to bring her back? Maybe everyone else is right and maybe Gabriel Agreste is Hawkmoth."

Alya nodded. "It's highly plausible. He's never there when an Akuma takes place."

"Not to mention, when he did get akumatized, we never saw a purple butterfly around his face. He must have akumatized himself to eliminate himself from the list of possible suspects." Tikki said, stroking her chin thoughtfully. "How can we expose him? How can we be sure?"

"The ball!" Marinette cried suddenly. Tikki and Alya shared puzzled expressions as they stared at her.

"Whatever do you mean, child?" Tikki asked.

"There may be a way for us to tail him; to find out whether or not he really is Hawkmoth," Tikki pursed her lips at the suggestion, a bit concerned. "Someone can cause a negative emotion and Ladybug can watch Gabriel. Tikki will stay with Marinette and Alya will cause the disruption!"

Alya smirked, hands on her hips as she rose to join Tikki and Marinette near the vanity. "Ladies, I think we've got a mission to complete."