Chapter Twelve

Marinette walked slowly through the room, grazing her fingers along the edges of the royal red velvet couches and soft cushions in the room. This wasn't her room, oh no. Yet, it still felt like home.

She was wearing black leather pants and a silk tank top, covered with a comfortably loose pink sweatshirt. She sighed. This was the only free time she'd get before her coronation. Then, well, she could only prepare for the worst.

She slipped her hand into a pocket of the leather pants, a luxury that came with wearing her favorite kinds of comfortable clothes. The crumpled piece of paper, now aged by her previous tears along with the years, tumbled onto her lap, tempting her, teasing her. She narrowed her eyes at it, glaring at it as if it were alive.

She unfolded it.

Our dearest Marinette,

We've lied to you. We've hidden every truth from you and I know it sounds horrible, but we need you to stay strong. Hawkmoth has found us. He knows everything about us and he knows everything about... well, maybe I should explain this to you.
I was Ladybug. Your father was Chat Noir. We loved you too much. We couldn't allow you to get hurt, not as the future queen of Paris, nor as our daughter. We need you to take this miraculous and keep it. We've kept another one safe, though you can't know where for your and his- the new Chat Noir's- safety. Wear this miraculous and use your fairy, Tikki, to transform. She'll tell you everything. 
I'm glad that your godmother is your fairy. Think of her as a fairy godmother. I love you, Marinette, as does Tom. We both want great things for you.
You need to rule this kingdom fairly and intelligently; show them what you're capable of, my angel. Never forget your responsibilities as Ladybug, nor your responsibilities as Queen Marinette Dupain-Cheng. I believe in you.
We don't have much time, now. He'll find a way in soon enough and he'll kill us. We love you with all our hearts and we wish this were to be told under different circumstances. Goodbye, my dear, we hope for your life to brighten soon.

Signed,
Sabine Cheng

She barely even noticed when the first tears swelled in her eyes, trailing down her cheeks in soft, straight patterns. They plopped onto the already-worn paper and it shuddered, shriveling up the slightest bit. Marinette's hands shook as she sobbed, grieving for everything she'd lost because of that monster and his selfishness.

He took life for life.

Marinette set the note down next to her, covering her mouth as she trembled towards the painting of Sabine Cheng and Tom Dupain. Nothing had changed in those ten years, save for the dust caking every book, desk, or picture frame. Marinette swirled her thumb around her parent's faces, removing as much dust as she could.

She tried to smile, tried to seem happy at the memory of them, but she couldn't. She slumped on the bed, coughing as the dust rose to meet her. She stared at the picture frame, a distant memory. They held hands, both looking lovingly into their partner's eyes.

She wept for her mother, for her father, for everything that could have been, everything that had been ripped away from her by an evil force driven by his own blinded love. As she cried, she barely noticed a figure slip in through the door.

The bed creaked beside her and the weight shifted. A warm hand rubbed her back comfortingly. She glanced at the figure through blurred vision, making out only the shining golden hair and the daring green eyes.

"Are you okay?" He said softly, empathy shining in his eyes. Marinette forgot that he had lost just as much as she had. A father figure who cared for him, a mother who was there for him. She nodded, sniffling.

"I'm..." She trailed off, wiping her sleeve against her eyes in a very undignified manner. "I'm fine. Is there something you need?"

Adrien smiled, trying to lighten the mood. "Even while crying you manage to both look beautiful and act polite." Marinette flushed, feeling her cheeks grow hot from not only the tears now. "I-I didn't mean it like that..." He was red, too, scratching the back of his neck nervously.

"Thank you." She whispered despite her tight throat.

"Of course, Princess," He almost stopped himself, realizing how Chat Noir of him that sounded, but shrugged it off when Marinette hadn't seemed to notice. "Marinette, I was looking for you. Your advisor told me you'd be in here."

Marinette nodded. "This was my parents' room. Before they..." Tears threatened to spill again and Marinette blinked them away, ignoring the lump in her throat.

"I'm sorry."

She smiled at him, glad that he could understand her pain. "Why were you looking for me of all people?" He looked down at her, smiling back.

"I didn't want to be a bother at a time like this, Marinette, but I do have a couple of things to talk to you about." He smiled wider. She loved the way that his shining grin made her worries melt away.

"Oh?"

"First of all, I'd like to personally thank you for your hospitality regarding our stay here along with our dances. Thank you for allowing us to host them in the Winter Palace." He lingered for a little bit on the topic, wanting to say something else. She tossed him a reassuring glance. "Even though you didn't have to after Chloe was overthrown." He added quietly.

"It was my pleasure. I personally didn't get to attend your ball but I'll try to arrange something for your upcoming one." It wasn't entirely a lie since Marinette hadn't really gone.

"Second of all, I'd like to ask about, um, well, the..." He trailed off, gulping. How could he word this without sounding ridiculous?

Marinette smiled softly, gesturing for him to carry on. He inhaled, determined.

"Will you go to the ball with me?"