Chapter Sixteen

Kaito was panicking a lot after witnessing the aftermath of the bombing. I pulled over at that old beach covered in umbrellas to help him calm down.

   We sat in the car for a few minutes and I held Kaito's hand as he cried. When he was calmer, we got out the car and just stood at the railing to watch the waves and the gray clouds filing the sky. Kaito was quiet now with a desolate look in his eyes, yet he still held my hand tightly. I took a step closer to him and kissed his cheek, able to taste his tears on my lips.

"Will you be ok...?" I asked.

"... I don't know anymore..."

   "Well... be thankful that we got away alive... imagine if we had been in the same place as that bomb..."

   "I wouldn't let that happen." He said sternly.

   "Kaito, even with your powers, you don't have full control of the universe—"

   "You don't understand!"

   Kaito stepped away with his hands on his head and shaky breaths leaving his lips.

   "God, what's wrong with you? Is there something you're not telling me?"

   "Len, please stop..."

   "Please, don't keep things from me... I can't help you if you don't tell me what's wrong...!"

Kaito didn't say anything. He looked back at me with pain and rage in his eyes...

"Kaito...?"

Without saying a word he went toward me, took me by my shoulders and made me face toward the ocean.

"Kaito, what are you doing?"

He was staring at the waves with a focused stare, the same way he did last night with the stars. I looked back at the water and my eyes went wide as the gentle tide slowly grew aggressive and reached far up the beach, past all the umbrellas and right beneath the rail. I tried to back up but Kaito's grip was strong.

"K-Kaito, this isn't funny! Stop it!" I cried.

He pushed me forward a little and I screamed, grabbing onto the railing tightly as my head hanged over and the roaring waves threatened to drown me.

"Stop it!! Kaito, fucking stop!! PLEASE!!"

Now I was crying as I desperately begged him to stop whatever the hell he was trying to do. Suddenly, he grunted and the waves drew back...

Kaito let go of me and backed away with one hand over his mouth and the other gripping his stomach. I sat against the railing with tears and terror on my face as I watched blood drip from his nose and spill from his mouth, all over his clothes. Far away, I heard an explosion...

Somewhere in the city, I saw smoke rising soon followed by people's screams... I looked at Kaito in shock...

"I don't know what it is..." He choked. "When I do more than what I can handle... I mess up a balance in nature... and it causes explosions..."

Kaito held himself and started crying.

"But... the explosions can happen on people too..."

   I didn't want to believe what he was saying. I didn't want to think of the fact he just caused a major explosion intentionally. I pulled at my hair and grit my teeth as I cried more. There was a growl of thunder and it began to rain over us. Kaito stood up, immediately fell back down, then pushed himself back up. I shut my eyes, not wanting to see the bloody mess he was right now...

   "I'm sorry I was ever in your life..." I heard him say. "I was fucking stupid to think I was mentally ready to be around people again..."

   "Kaito, shut up... shut the fuck up..." I sobbed.

   "I really am sorry..."

   "I said shut up!" I looked at him and yelled. "How fucking dare you, Kaito?! How dare you make play with my emotions like that?! What the hell is wrong with you?!"

   My words hit Kaito hard. He took a few steps back and his eyes welled with tears again.

   "I wanted to remember what being with a person was like... before I killed myself..."

   All my rage melted away.

   "I do nothing but hurt other people anyway... I'm better off dead... I've tried killing myself at this beach before, but it's never worked... I don't think the ocean wants to kill me... so..." He he stared into my eyes with a face covered in tears, blood, and raindrops.

   "Can you kill me, Len...?"