Chapter Twenty-Seven

The two of us walked down a pathway in a field of the prettiest apple trees. I held Kaito's hand so tightly, because I knew it would be the last time.

"Are you ok?" I heard him ask.

I squeezed his hand a little and nodded.

"I'm fine."

Kaito brought my hand up to kiss it. I'm going to miss the touch of his lips so much. At the end of a pathway was a huge cherry tree where the two of us laid in the shade, still holding each other's hands.

   "What do you think our future would've been like?" I asked.

   "Beautiful. No denying it."

   "Maybe we could've opened a shop together... what do you think, a bookstore? Or a flower shop?"

   "Why not both?" Kaito grinned. I smiled and nuzzled against his shoulder.

   "Hey, do you think... maybe we could've gotten married...?" He asked, blushing.

   "Without a doubt,"

   I sat up and leaned over to kiss him. Kaito used his other hand to brush his fingers over my cheek. I leaned my head into his hand and playfully sucked on his thumb. Kaito blushed and I couldn't help but laugh.

   "I can't believe you still get so flustered around me~" I giggled and put my forehead against his.

   "It's not my fault you're so pretty..." he whined.

   "And you're a sexy beast~"

   Kaito turned redder than a tomato. I laughed and he pulled me into a kiss. I rested my head on his chest and listened to his heartbeat. It was so slow...

   "Kaito...?"

   "Yes, honey?"

    "Would you..." I blushed, "have wanted a family...?"

   "More than anything, darling." Kaito hugged me and kissed my forehead.

   "How many kids?"

   "Two or three?"

   "You've would've been such a sweet daddy..." a few tears slipped down my cheeks.

   I sat back up and put my hands over my face as I started crying. Kaito pulled me into his chest and stroked my hair. I looked up at him and cupped his face with my hands. He was crying too...

   "I really don't want this to be it, Kaito..." I told him.

"I know, honey... if it were up to me we'd be together until the end of time..."

I pressed our foreheads together and shut my eyes; the tears kept falling.

"I'm so happy we met..." I said quietly.

"You know something...?" Kaito rubbed his thumbs over my cheeks. "You kinda look like some of the boys I've seen in my past lives..."

My heart skipped a beat.

"I do...?"

"Yeah..."

"H-How did you know those boys?"

Kaito only smiled. That was enough for me to understand. He brought me in for another kiss and hugged me tight. I was hesitant to let go, when the warm breeze picked up.

   "I think it's time..." he said quietly.

   I pressed my head into his chest, gripping his shirt in my hands.

   "I love you so so much, Kaito..."

   Kaito tilted my head up to look into my eyes. I was going to miss seeing his beautiful ocean eyes so much. He smiled at me and gently rubbed my tears away.

    "I love you even more, Len..."

   I pulled Kaito down into one last kiss. His hand slipped away from mine.

   A warm breeze.

   A bright light.

   A beautiful flurry of blue hydrangea petals.

   Then I was alone...

————

    Rin was sitting in the Gazebo when I found her. She saw me and quickly jumped up to hug me and start spouting apologies.

   "It's fine, Rin..." I told her, "it's ok..."

   "You've been crying... did something happen? Who must I kill?!"

   "Don't worry, Rin, I'm not sad! I actually feel... really happy..." I smiled despite my tears.

   "Len... what happened?"

   I rubbed my eyes and held her hand.

   "You didn't accept your death either, huh?"

   "I..." Rin sighed, "no, not really..."

   I hugged her and kissed her cheek. She held onto me and buried her face in my neck.

   "Let's figure this out together, ok...?"

————

    My name was Kaito Shion. I was twenty two when I died in my fourth life.

   I could see everything as I passed on to my fifth life.

   Akaito was with at the theater, rehearsing with a bunch of lovely people for the next show. He looked so happy to be on stage, laughing with everyone. Meanwhile, Taito was at school, talking to a few other boys with his head high and a smile on his face. He was beginning to feel comfortable around other people again...

   They were a good family...

   I found Kiyoteru away from work; him and Yuki were looking at an empty shop space. Maybe they were going to start a business. Yuki looked so excited about it, it made me smile.

   Then there was Miku, sweet Miku. She was at my grave with a bouquet of tulips and tears falling down her pretty face. I feel bad about disappearing out her life the way I did... maybe we can be siblings in another life...

   Right before I left for good, I stopped in my old house. Everything was dead and gray. With a quiet sigh I smiled.

   "Time to go..."

   All the plant life began to rise back up, growing bigger than they've ever grown before. They consumed the trinkets and pencils and books and toys, they made homes for themselves in the chairs and tables and lamps. It was as if the house had been abandoned for years; as if I never existed.

   "Hmm..."

   Those paper planes were still there; I had forgotten about them. I used to find them trapped within trees for a few days. The feint black ink was still readable on the yellowed paper. I smiled and shed a tear as I read over them for the last time.

   Then I saw that aura of light and darkness, with that gentle golden-magenta glow. My next life was waiting. I freed the paper planes from their strings and watched as they took flight. Crying again, I smiled as I backed against the aura.

   "Bye, Len..."

   I fell backwards.

   Kaito Shion was no more.