Chapter Twenty-Six

I spent a whole week at the bottom of the ocean. Not just to get some time to think, but to find Len's body.

It took three days To find it. The first day I was desperately hunting for his body, asking every sea creature around if they've seen it. The second day I caught a ride on a wise whale that would help me. On the third day I almost lost hope, but I finally found Len's body in a coral reef.

It was laying in the sand deep below... lodged under some rocks and coral... the saltwater filled it up, the rough tides tore the clothes, and some fish had eaten away at parts of the skin...

The sight scared me so much that I started screaming in pure agony; screaming so much that the bubbles that came out my mouth heated the water like an underwater volcano. Then I sobbed to myself as I admitted the truth...

I did it. I killed Len Kagamine. I killed him because I couldn't get a damn grip on my emotions.

   Had I stayed calm I could've prevented the storm. I could've maybe created a tide that would carry Len to some rocks. Then I could've lured some of the local fishermen out to sea so they could find him and save him.

   But I fucking didn't...

  And yet... Len still loved me...

   But we can't be together for much longer...

   I couldn't stay in the Inbetween forever, or else my soul would grow weak and I'd slowly wilt away, and if Len remained hooked on me, his soul would never rest and he'd never make it to his next life. So when I finally left the ocean, I promised to give Len one last moment of happiness... just one...

   Now, Len and I laid closely together, naked and cuddled in a silk bed. Len looked happy and content. I, on the other hand, was an embarrassed, red-faced mess.

   "Hey..." Len traced his fingers over my bare chest, "I know you're still new to this. But I am too. We'll learn more together."

   He kissed my neck and I shivered. Len giggled and hugged me. I blushed and kissed his forehead.

   "I feel so warm with you..." I said quietly.

   Len sat up on his elbows and smiled sweetly.

"So, tell me what kinda stuff do you see at the bottom of the ocean? Any shipwrecks?"

I was too embarrassed to tell him I was hunting for his body. I glanced away and I spoke in a mumbled voice.

   "Not that much... just a lot of sea creatures... I got pinched by lobsters a couple of times... then there was that sea urchin that wouldn't detach itself from my head... then I got swept away by some whales when I was spacing out..."

   Len started laughing. I was going to miss that gorgeous sound...

   "I almost don't believe any of that! Kaito, you're a riot!"

   I wanted to smile but it was so hard... I couldn't let this drag on anymore, I just couldn't...

"Len... we gotta talk about something..." I said as I sat up.

"What is it?" he says.

I shut my eyes for a second, preparing for what was about to go down, then slowly held both his hands tightly in mine.

   "I... I love you a whole lot... and I'd never want to do anything that'll hurt or upset you but..."

   "I'm not liking the sound of this..." Len said.

   "I know... and I'm so, so fucking sorry to do this but I can't—"

   "Kaito, stop talking."

   "Baby, listen—"

   "No!" Len eyes were already filling with tears, "Please don't say what I think you're saying, Kaito, please!"

   I let out a breath, ready to cry myself.

   "I have to go back to the real world and start my next life..."

   "N-No, no! If you're doing that, then I'm going with you! I'm starting my next life too!" Len exclaimed.

   "That would be amazing... but it's not possible..."

   "Why! Why the fuck not?!"

   I brought a hand up to caress his cheek brush my fingers past his lovely hair.

   "You haven't accepted your death yet..."

   "Wh... y-yes I did... I'm dead! I died! Is that not enough for you?!"

   "It doesn't work that way... you can't leave the Inbetween until you truly accept your death..."

   Len shook his head and pushed himself away from me, turning and folding his arms. I saw a tear slip down his cheek just as he did.

   "Why do you have to leave then...? Can't you just stay until I'm ready to be alive again...?"

   "Len..."

   I sighed and moved some damp hair out my face. This wasn't gonna be pretty...

   "Baby, look this way..."

   "Kaito, shut up..."

   "Len, please."

   "I said to shut—!!"

   He turned around and gasped.

   I allowed a bit of my true form to show. From my back came withered wings made from wilting petals of flowers. My eyes glowed with an aura darker than before; I'm sure my eyes were just solid black at this point. My skin was becoming pale too. Len put his hands over his mouth upon seeing me.

   "What's happening to you...?"

   "I'm wilting Len..." I dropped my gaze, "my kind can't stay in places like the Inbetween or else we wilt and get absorbed by it... the only way for me to prevent this is to start my next life..."

   Len's tears streamed all down his hands and cheeks.

   "Y-You mean... you're going to die completely...? And there's nothing after that...?"

  I nodded.

   "Kaito..."

   I hid my wings and aura away before rubbing my bare arms, feeling ashamed of myself. Then Len quickly hugged my tightly and cried into my shoulder. I held on just as tight.

   "I wish you told me before..." he quietly sobbed.

  "I'm sorry, honey..." I kissed his forehead.

  "W-Will I remember you when I'm alive again...?"

   "No... we're both going to forget our time in the Inbetween completely..."

   Len's grip tightened. I rubbed his back and hummed as he started crying again. After a minute or two, Len pulled back and rubbed his eyes.

   "If this is really it for us... can we go to one last beautiful place together...?" he asked.

   I smiled and gently kissed him.

   "Of course, honey,"