Chapter Twenty-One

Yuki is bold. I don't know what else to say. I don't know where she got the idea that Kiyoteru and I would get married—I think she reads too much fairytales. Although, my short-lived romance with Kaito sure felt like a fairytale.

I kept reminding myself of what he said about being apart of everything; in the weather and plants and all the ecosystems—how he would smile and cry with me....

   I looked to the clear sky past the trees with sunlight coming down like spotlights on a stage. I mustered a small smile.

   "Hey, Mister Kagamine?"

"You don't have to call me that, you know." I told Yuki. "I rather you just call me by my first name."

   "Ok, Mister Len."—I sighed—"What was it like living in the city?"

   "It was alright, I guess. But I like it better out here."

"Did you live in a big house?"

"Yeah, a very big house. But there were so many annoying servants and my parents are pretty unbearable." I admitted.

"Does your daddy work a lot?"

"Oh yeah."

"My daddy's always working." Yuki hummed. "Sometimes I go to the real estate place with him, and it's always busy. Everybody's tryin' to move to the city and leavin' here. You think they'll tear the forest down, Mister Len?"

That had crossed my mind. I didn't like it. This forest was so warm and beautiful, how could anyone even think to destroy it and for what? Apartments? Shopping malls? Chain restaurants? It sounded like such a damn waste.

   I wonder, if the forest were to disappear would Kaito go with it...?

"Achoo!"

Yuki sneezed and rubbed her nose. A sudden cold breeze blew through my hair and sent shivers down my neck. It had been so warm up until now...

"Mister Len, it's really cold..." Yuki said quietly as she rubbed her arms.

I looked up at the sky to see dark clouds rolling in, yet I don't recall the weather report mentioning any storms. That was when the wind got colder making me shiver myself. I took Yuki's hand and turned us around.

"We should hurry back, a big storm might be coming!" I cried over the wind.

Just as we turned, the wind grew harsh and almost knocked us over. Worried, I picked Yuki up and held tight to keep her from being blown away. I tried to run against the wind but it kept forcing me back, as if it were trying to pull me deeper in the forest...

"I'm scared...!" Yuki whined.

I was too. It felt like a drizzle was starting to come down and the wind was getting colder. We just might have a hurricane on our hands...

"God, what the hell is going on?!"

Fighting hard, I managed to start running at a good pace while still holding Yuki, who was now crying. Past the trees, I could make out Kiyoteru's car pulling up. Relieved, I cried out to him.

"Kiyoteru!! Kiyoteru!!" My voice was drowned by the wind.

"Daddy!!" Yuki cried.

"Len?! Yuki?!"

I almost cried when he came running toward us and pulled us into his arms, attempting to lead us back to his house.

"Kiyoteru, I think a really bad storm is coming! Maybe a hurricane!" I cried.