Chapter 22

It wasn't long after midnight when Zara, in a guest room bigger than her actual living room, heard some commotion. Dropping her pencil and flicking her book shut she crept out of the room and down the hall, listening closely.

"I can't believe it," Emily sobbed. "You brought him home, Miguel."

Zara broke out in a run and followed the voices until she saw the Galindos in a large embrace, Cristobal's little head poking out from between his parents.

"Oh my god," Zara began to cry. "Is he okay?" She asked, turning to Nestor and another guard. "How did you find him?"

"He's fine," Nestor smiled, purposely not answering the second question.

"You're the best," she said, suddenly hugging him. "I can't believe you guys found him on your own."

Nestor was not going to tell her they Adelita came to them, that she seemingly gave in, he took the compliment and hugged Zara back.

"It's what we do."

"You're very good at it."

Emily caught Zara's eye as she turned and quickly scurried over to her. "He's home. He's back. Not a scratch on him."

"Just a little dirt," Miguel added.

"I'm sorry we woke you," Emily said.

"Are you crazy?" Zara laughed. "I wasn't even sleeping but, seriously, I wouldn't have minded fireworks. This is incredible."

"A toast," Devante announced. "To the Galindos."

Flutes were passed to the six of them, glass clinking as they cheered the newly reunited family. Zara brought the glass to her lips, taking the tiniest sip, before handing it off to Nestor. "Not really a champagne fan," she said with a shrug.

Nestor downed her drink quickly. "Guess your trip is gonna be cut short."

"Nah, I'll stay for a bit longer," she shrugged.

"How's your boyfriend feel about that?" He asked her knowingly.

"It doesn't matter how Angel feels about it," she told him.

Nestor smirked and nodded. "Don't drink champagne, want something else?"

"Uh, no," she sighed. "I'm good. Honestly, feeling a little buzzed just from this," she looked at Emily, Cristobal, and Miguel again. "I haven't been able to stop thinking about that night. I can still smell everything."

Nestor snaked his arm around her shoulders, a smug grin playing on his lips when he thought of Angel. "You don't have to worry about that. It's...handled."

With her eyebrows cocked, she looked at him and rolled her eyes. "I know what that means but I don't think it'll be that easy," she tapped her forehead. Zara leaned into him, missing the feel of a firm muscular man pressed against her, and closed her eyes. He wasn't Angel but the feeling still comforted her.

"How long have you known Miguel?" She suddenly asked.

"Since we were kids," he said vaguely.

"That's just adorable," she teased. "So. Mr. Oceteva, do you ever get a night off?"

"I'm off right now," he said casually. The only thing better than flirting with one of the Mayans girlfriends was if that particular Mayan knew. "Why? Do you, or your boyfriend, need help with something?

"My boyfriend?" Zara drew her head back. "What could he possibly need help with?"

Nestor pulled a face and shrugged. "Bike stuck in a puddle? Cat caught in a tree?"