4 | With A Little Help From My Friends

Monday mornings are no rays of sunshine for anyone. On the southside, FP is scrambling around the trailer getting Jughead ready for school while he's on the phone with Fred.

"I'm sorry, Fred. I can't come in today. I couldn't find anyone to watch Jellybean and she caught a fever. Poor girl couldn't sleep a wink last night." FP keeps his phone pressed against his ear as he tries to change Jughead into a new shirt. "Jughead, stand still."

"Sorry," Jughead pushes his head through the hole in his shirt.

"Go get your shoes and eat the cereal I left on the table for you."

"Okay," Jughead runs out of the room.

"I've got to get going if I don't want the kiddo to be late. Bye Fred. Again, I'm really sorry." FP hangs up the phone. He goes over to Jellybean's crib when he hears her crying. He picks her up and touches her forehead. "You're burning up, baby girl."

"Dad, we're going to be late!" Jughead yells through his munches.

FP is terribly frustrated. He's exhausted. He doesn't blame the kids for being kids, but he wishes he had some help.

"We'll leave once you eat," FP comes into the room with the baby. He fixes her up a bottle to get her to calm down.

"Is JB still sick?"

"Yes, that's why she's still fussy." FP rocks her in his arms while the milk warms up.

"I don't like being sick. My nose gets stuffy and I can't breathe right." Jughead scrunches his nose.

"Me either, son. When you finish, can you grab your backpack and find the car keys for me?"

Jughead nods and does as told. FP checks the milk before placing the bottle in Jellybean's mouth.

Jellybean refuses to take the bottle. "You've got to eat, Jellybelly. I know it must hurt but we'll pick up your medicine right after we drop off your brother."

"Got it!" Jughead raises the keys up in the air.

"Thanks, now let's get going."

+

Monday mornings on the northside are just as tiring. Polly and Betty run into their brother's room to wake him up. They stand on the sides of his bed, shaking him awake.

"Wake up! Charlie!" Betty jumps on top of him.

"We have school!" Polly pulls the blanket off of him.

"I'm up! I'm up!" Charles sits up. He looks at his alarm clock. "It's not even seven yet."

"We know," The girls giggle and run out of his room. He flops back down on the bed and hides under the covers.

"Up!" Polly pokes her head back in.

"Mom!" Charles jumps out of bed. He goes to her room but doesn't see her so he goes downstairs to the kitchen.

"The girls keep waking me up early." He whines.

"It's seven in the morning," Alice looks at her watch.

"Now," Charles tilts his head back. "Can you just talk to them? They always come into my room without permission."

"I'll have a talk with them," Alice assures him. "Just go get ready for school. I have to drop off the girls today too. Hal went to the office early today for a meeting."

Charles groans and walks up the stairs to his room. The girls run past him still giggling.

"Girls, what did I tell you about messing with your big brother?" He can hear Alice scold them.