18 | Alienated

Charles walks off of the field at the end of the game. He catches up to Chic in the locker room. "You know something I don't so spill."

"What are you talking about?" He doesn't turn to look at him. He continues to take his gear off and shoves it into his locker.

"I saw you at halftime. You came from the parking lot, didn't you? What happened to my dad?" Charles had seen the light gash on his father's forehead.

"I don't know," He shrugs.

"You have to know something," Charles continues to press.

"I knew they were here. I saw them." Chic admits. "Your dad followed me when I walked off to tell them to go away."

"The Ghoulies were here?"

"They were looking for me, not your dad."

"Why?"

"I can't say."

"Why not?" Charles understands but can't deal with the fact he won't tell him. "I called you last night and you didn't pick up. You always do."

"I had something going on. I'm sorry."

"The Ghoulies?"

"Sort of."

"You're getting in too deep. I don't like it."

"You're sounding like your mom about your dad." Chic shoots back. Charles had confined in Chic about what he's heard.

"Well it's because of these damn Ghoulies. My dad wants to talk to you about it."

"I know."

"Then why aren't you helping him?"

"You saw what happened to him just because he happened to be there. What about me?"

"He can help you."

"It's complicated."

"I finally came out to them for you and you won't even help us," Charles softens the look on his face. "You said the Ghoulies were talking about my dad. Now they hurt him. You expect me not to worry about both of you?"

"You told them about us?" Chic couldn't believe it.

"Yeah. I do care about you, Chic. I wanted to have this as a first step to taking us even more seriously."

"You're going to hate me if I tell you everything."

"That's not true."

Chic doesn't get the chance to explain; the rest of the team catches up to them in the locker room. Charles makes sure to follow him out. He wants his answer.

"You can't just leave like this," Charles grabs a hold of him. "My dad needs to talk to you."

"I've got to go!"

FP approaches the boys, "Do not move!"

Chic obeys and freezes.