Chapter 3: The Start of Something New

I WAS NOT FAST ENOUGH. That's what I realized. I listened to our footsteps as we entered the-probably the most affluent mansion I've ever seen. I am not sure who these people are but I know they're important.

"Listen, I really had no intention of doing something bad. I just want to go. What are you going to do with me, anyway?"

"The duke wants a word with you." One of the twins said at muntikan na akong matisod sa nilalakaran ko. Did he say the Duke?

"The duke?"

"Yes. His Grace. The Duke of Araenon." The twins said in unison.

I gulped. Does this mean I'm going back to Sandovia? Umabot ako dito just to be taken back there?

"I can't go back there." I stopped walking dahilan para huminto rin sila. I was not tied. They did not tie my hands nor cover my mouth. It just shows how powerless I am in front of them even with my hands unbound.

"I can't go back to Sandovia."

"Tell that to the Duke. I think he'll listen. After all, what would be the reason he wants to talk to you?" Luca said. But it did not lessen the anxiety I'm feeling.

We stopped in front of the woode double doors. It was hard to breath and my heart was thundering so loud. What if Emerich Sardon is inside and was just waiting for me? Would he go that far? He plastered my face all over Sandovia making me a wanted person so coming here won't be impossible.

I felt a hand on my shoulder and Leo gave me an assuring smile.

"Relax. After you treated him, he should at least be thankful for that. So he will listen to your story."

After I treated him? What does he mean? Wait a minute-

"The Duke is-" I was not able to finish my sentence when Luca opened the wooden doors. I caught sight of the man I treated earlier. Compared the clothes he was wearing earlier, his clothes right now are different. Regal and elegant.

"Exene?" I saw how his brow shot upwards. He's the Duke? That explains things. Sa lahat pa naman ng makasalamuha ko ngayong araw, siya pa? A Duke? Wait, how should I address a Duke?

"Took you two long enough." His eyes shot at the twins behind me.

"Apparently, Missy runs too fast for a petite woman."

I pretended I did not hear that.

Exene's eyes shot back at me.

"Why would you run? Won't you want my gratitude? You treated my arm earlier. I should at least express my gratitude."

If what he's talking about is me going back to Sandovia, then I am not interested to listen. He doesn't have any idea how relieves I was when I did not see Emerich Sardon in this room.

"I would really appreciate it if you just let me go. Let's forget about what happened. Just let me go and I'll take that as your thank you."

He crossed his arms and I've never seen someone as handsome as he is. He is a fine Duke.

"Are you sure about that?"

"Absolutely."

"You are on the run from Emerich Sardon, am I right?"

The moment he saw my reaction, I could have sworn a satisfied look passed in his face.

"Am I wanted person in here too? Are you going to give me to him for the bounty?"

He scoffed. "I don't care about the bounty. I want you to stay here and be my personal healer."

"What?" I was surprised at how the twins chorused with me. But I was more surprised at his demand. His personal healer?