Chapter 38 : Truth

WORDS RANG IN MY HEAD. My knees buckled that I had to grasp the chair for support. Hindi ko alam kung anong mararamdaman ko. Daughter?

How did I become his daughter? I grew up knowing only my grandma as a family. Imposible ang sinasabi niya. It has to be.

He was about to reach and touch me but I slapped his hand away.

"Don't touch me," matigas kung sabi and he obliged. He maintained a safe distance and I hated how he looked at me longingly as if he had been waiting for this time to come. As if he did not try to hurt me. As if he did not hurt the people I considered as family. 

"You—you're lying," tears flowed down my eyes as I grip the chair tighter. It can't be. My dad died dahil sa malalamg sakit. My mom took her own life. I was an only child. That's what my grandma told me.

"Liliana—"

"Don't call my name!" I picked up a vase that was comfortably lying and threw it on the floor. Kinuha ko ang isang basag na piraso at itinutok iyon sa kanya. Biglang bumukas ang pinto at iniluwa doon si Laurent. He was assessing the situation before he looked at me and at the piece of broken glass on my hand.

"You're bleeding. Drop the glass, Liliana." Laurent said and stepped closer slowly. I pointed the glass at him this time.

"You stay away from me," I said.  My hand was bleeding. I didn't care. It didn't even hurt. How could they...how could they spout such lies to my face?

"I am Liliana West. My father died from an illness. My mother took her own life because of depression.." my voice cracked. "My grandmother took me in and raised me. I am an only child. I have no siblings. And my parents are dead. You—" I stared at Apollo. "You are not my father." I hurriedly wiped the tears in my eyes. "You are not a father."

"Liliana—" Laurent attempted to get close ngunit agad ko ring itinutok sa kanya ang hawak ko.

"Step back or I am really going to hurt with this—"

"Your grandma..." Apollo started dahilan para mapatingin ako sa kanya. His eyes are weary. It was as if he'd been hiding it from everyone and now he's showing it to me. It was as if he's so, so tired of everything. It was as if he just wants to rest. And I hated how I could read it from his eyes. "Your grandma—Felica,"

Tears threatened to fall again.

"I met her when I ran away from the island. She gave us a home, me and you," he said as he walked to the chair facing me and sat there. His arms rested on the table and he was staring at his hands,  remembering what happened in the past. "Her daughter, Laurent's mother, was also living in that house. That's how I met Laurent's mom,"

"Unfortunately, she died from an illness.  Laurent ran away from home and you," he looked at me and tears brimmed his eyes. Liar. "You were so young to know what's going on,"

"After Laurent's mom died, I heard there's a bounty on my head and that everyone from that island I once called my home is now after me. I had no choice but to leave. To leave you under Felicia's care. To not get you involved."

Nabitiwan ko ang hawak kong basag na piraso ng vase. It made a thud sound on the wooden floor. And I didn't care if I was unguarded. I didn't care if I looked pathetic. He must be lying. He must be. How could it happen? The man considered as an enemy Araennon is my father? The man who's been hunted by Exene and others is my father? The grandma I knew is not actually my grandma. And more importantly, Davis—Davis is my brother and I had an older sister?

I covered my mouth with my hand and sobbed. D

"Liliana—" Laurent stepped closer.

"Is that why you brought me here? To tell me all that? Whatever you say, I won't believe you. Take me home," matigas kong sabi despite the sobs.

"Let me treat your wound first. And I promise, first thing tomorrow, I will get you home." Laurent glanced at Apollo and the latter nodded slightly.

I looked at my hand. I didn't even notice how big the wound is. All the things I've known tonight is too much—too deep I couldn't feel anything except the pain of knowing the truth. Was it the truth? I don't know what to believe anymore when my whole life is a lie.

How could I face Exene after knowing all this?

* * *

I sat in a wooden chair as Laurent sat opposite me and gently treated my wounds with some ointments. Napatingin ako sa shelf na nasa tabi ko. It was full of ointments and I know from the first look, all are handmade.

"I made all of them,"

Agad kong binawi ang tingin and looked at the view outside instead.

"Grandma also taught me how to make medicine from plants just like how she taught you. It wasn't really my cup of tea but I saw how she loved to make them and adoring them on her big shelf that's I decided to learn it and make some for her myself."

I remembered my grandma teaching me how to make one. It wasn't my cup of tea too at first but eventually, I mastered the art of making it and it became my forte from then until now. It was something I am really good at so I decided to help people by doing what I love to do.

I felt him wrap a piece of clean clothe on my hand. His hand still lingered on mine kaya napatingin ako doon. He was just staring at my hand. Agad kong binawi iyon.

"I'm sorry. Does the ointment sting?" Tanong niya. I did not respond.

I was in a room that looked very much like the clinic I have in Exene's house. Maraming shelf ang naroon, all are filled with vials and other containers na naglalaman ng mga sari-saring gamot.

I felt him sit beside me on the bed. He maintained a safe distance and I remained looking at the window.

"You were two years old when we met for the first time," I heard him say. I just let him be while I continued staring at the view outside. Because somehow, deep inside, I want to hear it. 

"We were..." I heard him let out a small laugh. "We were close. You like to follow me around--" he stopped. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't be talking about that now." 

He stood up. "You can rest here since there's no other rooms available. I will get you home first thing tomorrow,"

He was already in the door when I decided to look at him. 

"Wait," I called. He stopped and looked at me. Eyes slightly as if he couldn't believe what he just heard. I swallowed the lump in my throat. 

"I want to know," I looked at him straight in the eye. "I want to know all of it." 

* * *