Chapter 23: Sealed

I KNOW THIS IS NOT REAL but I feel genuinely nervous about this.  Today is the day. I haven't really prepared myself mentally for this. And speaking of preparing, naalala ko na naman ang sinabi ni Exene kagabi. 

Damn it.

Why does he have to say it? I know what to do! He doesn't need to tell me he's going to kiss me. I know grooms are supposed to kiss brides during weddings.  

I have finished fixing myself minutes ago. I sent the handmaidens out because I want all of this sink in. I was in the middle of comtemplating my life decisions when a knock on my door caught my attention. 

I didn't need to open the door dahil agad itong bumukas at iniluwa doon si Quinny. She's gorgeous as always. I know she had a hard time doing her hair since she has to hide the white streaks. 

"Are you as nervous as I am?" Tanong niya. She's rubbing her hands together and held mine. 

"You two are a good pair. I wish you the best. I wish nothing more for Exene. I am so happy he found you." 

He really did. He literally found me sleeping on his mansion's gate. And she doesn't have any idea how much I wanted to tell her that all of this is just a facade. 

She must have mistaken my silence and thought I was nervous dahil agad siyang lumapit sa'kin and pulled me into a tight hug. Her hand patting my back is strangely comforting. 

"I know how you feel." She said. 

I chuckled. Quinny is about a few years younger than me. "You've been married before?" 

"Yeah," she said as if recalling a distant memory. Kumalas ako sa yakap and looked at her. 

"For real?" 

She nodded. My jaw dropped. 

"But it was a long time ago. Hindi rin natuloy. Thankfully." 

"Was it some kind of arranged marriage?" 

She sighed as her hands are busy fixing little tangles on my dress. "Yes, it was. And you are late for your wedding ceremony. We will have time to tell our stories. For now, go and marry my brother." She gave me a little nudge towards the door. 

I stopped and faced her.  "After this, I want to tell you something." 

She just smiled and nodded. I smiled back before headed out together. 

* * * 

I have never felt so nervous my whole life. Even when I was chased for having a bounty on my head, or when I had that encounter with Emerich Sardon. This is even more nerve-racking. I saw a few guests, maybe ten. The wedding officiant was at the end of the aisle. I can't see the other guests--or rather I couldn't focus on them as I was too overwhelmed by my nervousness. 

A light touch on my elbow brought me back to reality. When I turned to see who it was, a gentle smile greeted me. 

"I have never walked to any of my son's weddings before. Exene's my first son to get married." 

My jaw almost dropped when a man stepped beside me. Inayos niya ang kanyang suot na coat bago lumingon sa'kin. 

"You're gorgeous. My son can't take his eyes off of you." He grinned dahilan para mapatingin ako sa dulo. And there stood Exene in his black suit. He is indeed looking at me. Worry etched across his eyes. I gave him a little smile to assure him it's okay and I saw him let out a breath. 

It's true that I am still worried about the whole lying thing but I've already composed myself to it. I've already made up my mind to go with the wedding as this is for my sake anyway. In all honesty, I can benefit a lot from this than Exene.