Chapter 20: The Unexpected Guest

A LOT HAS BEEN RUNNING on my mind since we left the house. Exene said it'll take two hours papunta sa palasyo. It's 5 in the afternoon and I got the rest I wanted before going. Exene sent me another dress to wear and thankfully, it's not revealing like the last time.

The dress this time is black exposing my shoulders. The twins and Davis are in a separate car. Exene has been quiet ever since we left the house. And it's odd because he never fails to have something to say. He always has something to say but now, he's unusually quiet.

"Anything I should be aware of before arriving there?" I ask while looking out the window.

I heard him sigh. "Nothing. I just don't have a good feeling about this."

Napakunot ang noo ko. "I mean, it's the Palace. Your home. What could possibly happen?"

"It wasn't my home."

Napatingin ako sa kanya. But judging from the look on his face and the way he averts my gaze as he looks out the window says enough. He doesn't want to talk about it. I haven't had a vague idea about his childhood. The King said something about it during that meal but stopped immediately. Like it's a painful memory.

"Everything will be fine. And besides, you have your Generals with you and yourself too. I have nothing to worry about."

I heard him chuckled. "You seem to put a lot of faith in us."

"Well, I've seen all of you half-naked and shining with sweat as you spar just below my veranda. I would never want to be the receiving end of your punches and kicks."

"You were spying on us. Half naked men..." he trailed on his sentence. I looked at him incredulously.

I scoffed. "I am not! It just so happens that your training ground is directly in front of my veranda!"

"Sure." He said. And just like that. He ended the conversation na parang naninilip nga ako sa kanila habamg nagsasanay sila.

"Alam mo ang sarap mong balian ng leeg."

"So rare to see you being brutal in that language."

"Shut up."

He laughed. He freaking laughed. But I realized this is way better than his mood earlier. I didn't notice I was smiling until he raised his brows at me.

"What?" Tanong ko

"Why are you smiling?"

"Bawal ba?"

"No. It's just that you look like you're planning something."

I rolled my eyes. "Take a nap, Exene," I said and closed my eyes not minding the smile still plastered on my face.

* * *

I woke up and we're ten minutes away from the Palace. When I was young, I don't remember visiting the Capital. Various stalls owned by various merchants coming from different areas of the Kingdom and other Kingdoms stood proud along the wide marble road. It is a busy street, something that can be expected from the Capital. 

"There are stores here that sell foreign plants. Including native plants from Sandovia." Napalingon ako kay Exene who is also looking at my window. 

"Though I wonder when will I be able to roam in this city." 

"Right," he only answered. We both know we can't spare a minute to enjoy ourselves. A wedding is coming up and we are both involved. 

The gates of the Castle is already open when we arrived. Royal Guards are stationed everywhere. Handmaidens were waiting at the foot of the stairs para kuhanin ang mga gamit namin.