Prologue

The cool breeze lifted my hair and swirled it around my face, blinding me for a few seconds.

Milk and cheese, I told myself, crossing the road and walking towards the little market.

I played with the 10 dollar note in my hand as I slowed down next to the skateboard park. The place was usually deserted, but for some reason, there was a group of people surrounding one of the half pipes.

Silently and curiously, I stepped behind a metal pole, not wanting to be seen even though I was pretty sure that at least half my body was poking out.

I followed everyone's gaze to a tall boy, smiling triumphantly at the top of the half pipe.

The bad boy, I thought, instantly feeling a pang of hate towards him. He was probably the cool guy, the one everyone loved. Girls probably fell at his feet begging for his attention.

Not this girl.

He smiled cockily and ran his hands through his thick blond hair, pulling it upwards into the perfect quiff. Then, he winked at a few girls at the bottom of the half pipe and I watched in disgust as they practically melted with joy.

No helmet on, he shifted his weight forward and he was off.

I held my breath as he landed one jump and then another. But as he went for his third run, he slipped, somehow gracefully despite his tallness, and landed smoothly on the half pipe, his skateboard rolling away, forgotten.

I didn't dare to breathe even though I saw his body rattle with laughter. He stood up and hi- fived his friends, smiling widely as if what he had done was not dangerous at all.

Deciding it was time to go, I stuffed the money into my pocket and backed away from the pole and gate, trying to stop myself from locking my eyes on the group.

My heart sank as the blond boy grabbed one of his female fans by her wrist and made out with her in front of the whole group.

He has a girlfriend, I thought to myself, even though I knew I shouldn't care.

And even though the girl seemed so into the kiss, and his hand was traveling lower and lower down her back, his eyes were looking up, locked onto me.

And that's when I knew:

I hated him.