Chapter 3

Down the Rabbit Hole

                                                            * * ~ * ♥  *~ * *

The morning before my birthday, I woke-up, showered, and rummaged through my dresser for something to wear. Normally, I'd spend hours infront of the mirror applying make-up, but today was special. Today I didn't have to pretend. I wanted to look natural. Of course, my wardrobe was sadly lacking in the 'norm' department. While other girls spend hours crying their eyes out on what to wear, I spend hours deciding on what not to wear.

I guess that's what happens when you're the only daughter of a CEO. He'll spoil you without ever knowing what you truly want. 

It's not that I hated my parents; I adored them. I just that I felt like they didn't understand me. Mom and Dad divorced shortly after I fell into a coma, and I couldn't help but feel like it's partly my fault. A few month's later my dad landed a huge gig at his job, and moved away to los Angeles. 

My father, who used to sit at the dinner table and complain about the quality of the toast, was a bitter man. He had a gaze so piercing, it left you feeling naked and exposed. His voice was deep and brooding, like a backdrop for a funeral. Rarely, he ever smiled, but on those days he did, it brightened the whole room. He had soft brown hair and cream-colored skin. I didn't inherit either of these aspects of my father, but I did inherit his pale blue eyes and lean frame.

My mother, with her pouty lips and glossy skin, could pass as a super model. She looked like a real-life china doll, complete with rosy cheeks and a celestril nose. Her strawberry blond hair cascaded down her shoulders, and ended in loose curls.

Her voice was warm and flowing like hot chocolate, and everyone seemed to relax when she had something to say. But as soon as she became angry, the hot chocolate would freeze and her voice would become like ice, cold and hard, and her eyes seconded the notion. When she was sad, it became a cool waterfall in the middle of nowhere, alone and small.

My dad was a fool to let her go, and he was even worst of a fool to think that material things would win my favor. I just wanted to stuff my face in a pillow and scream my head off. 

Dad wasn't super rich or anything, but he defintely had more than the average man. He lived in a ritzy area called Bel Air, but before that, he lived with mom and me in a middle-class neighborhood. Every summer and winter break I come to stay with him, and mom had me during most of the school year. Dad was fine with the arrangement, but lately, something in him changed.

The other night he called to say he wanted full custody. Mom panicked when she heard this, and ordered me to stay in the living room. She marched up to her bedroom, and slammed the door shut. I didn't hear the rest of the conversation, but I imagine it didn't go very well, since mom was in a rush to get rid of me the next morning.

I slipped into one-piece bathing suit, and got through my morning routine as quickly as I could, careful not to wake Aria, who snored quietly on the bed beside me. She was sprawled across the mattress, loose strands of ebony hair tumbling down her back. I heard the soft sound of her breathing, and smiled to myself.

Without thinking, I ploped down on the bed beside her, and kissed her on the cheek. "Don't worry about me, okay? I'll be back by lunch." I whispered, stroking her hair. "I just have to clear my mind a bit and think things over."

Which is how, 24 Hours ago, I found myself walking out revolving doors in the middle of the night, my Hotel growing smaller and smaller in the background. I didn’t look back; if I looked back I would lose my nerve.