Chapter 4

The Journey Begins

                                                            * * ~ * ♥  *~ * *

Lexi sat up her head aching with pain. She felt the side of her scalp which was covered in wet blood, dripping down the side of her neck. She wiped the crimson red blood on her cloak, before noticing how extremely cold it was. The floor was draped with sheets of ice, and she could see her own breath. 

The walls were head to toe frozen, glimmering in the casting light. She shivered as the air was nipping at her thin arms, and into her very core. Two towering doors stood on opposite ends of the room. Since Lexi had runaway from the Organization, she was now a wanted fugivitive.

She had heard of the mystical Wonderland while hiding out in Twilight town, a place people claimed would provide shelter to any blond girl who called herself Alice, the name of their lost princess who'd been stolen by the mad hatter an century earlier.

One door creaked open and a pale green light peered through. She stepped into the room which turned into a world. The door slammed behind her, ecoing off the walls.

She turned back to face where the sun would have been, but was now a green illumination shining through. Canopies drapped over the ceiling, and she heard voices like when she was in the Castle that Never was, but this time they were different. She didn't recognize any of them.

"Have I come to the right place?" Lexi shouted into the sky. "Tell me, is this Wonderland?"

                             "Hey, did you know?"

                                                                              "Games always have rules."               

                             "It's decided from the beginning."

                                                                                     "You knew that, Right?"

"I know what I'm getting myself into."

                                                        "Very well."

                                                                                   "Are you Alice?"

Lexi bowed low on one knee. "I am."

The gates swung open, and a guard shuffled forward. He wore no expression because he had no face. "Miss Alice, The Queen of Hearts has been waiting your arrival for a very, very long time and invites you to the Castle to have some tea. It would be the Highest degree of Honor to escort you."

Lexi extended her gloved hand, and let herself be pulled through the looking glass, smiling childishy all the way.

                                                              * * ~ * ♥  *~ * * 

 "AS THE WARDEN OF THE PRISON, I demand to see the Prisoner number 345790." Those were the  words I awoke to as I slowly regained my conciousness. My head was spinning from the fall, and my first thought was "Am I dead"?