Chapter 1

A Storm is Coming

                                                             * * ~ * ♥  *~ * *

Two years ago, on my sixteenth birthday, I fell into a deep slumber.

No, I didn't die. If thats what you're thinking. Dying would imply gravestones and endless tearing, and bonquent of roses with cards of prayer stuffed inside. Dying would imply that I'd left for good, and that I wasn't coming back. None of that was true.

On my sixteenth birthday, my parents threw a big party for me, I invited everybody from school and relatives from faraway states. It was on a lovely little park in the middle of nowhere, with a running trail and a misty little pond.

My best friend and I were at the edge of the pond, pondering our futures, when I heard the faint whisper of someone calling my name. I lost my footing and slipped into the dark abyss. It would be another 10 months till I opened my eyes again.

For months afterward, I had a reccuring nightmare about standing on top of that hill, looking down and seeing myself struggle against the currents in that pond.

As the water closed over my head, I could hear the voices eco in the background, a slow eerie song with words I could not almost understand.

The water pushed down on me from all sides. Icy-cold water flooded in, my throat burned as if a thousand needles had been plunged into it. I desperately clawed at the water, trying to shoot to the surface while my lungs swamped with slimy liquid and my bones flopped uncontrollably.

My muscles relaxed and I was oddly calm for a moment, then everything slowly faded to black. Before I'd fall into unconciousness I heard the voices call againnot my name, but anothers. Everytime I tried to listen to them however, I'd wake up.

                                                               * * ~ * ♥  *~ * *

MY NAME IS ELI UNDERWOOD and In less than 24-hours, I'll be eighteen years old. The coming of adulthood. It has a magical ring to it. Eighteen is supposed to be the age when girls become queens and fall in love and go to dances and such.

I'll be able to flaunt my drivers license and exercise my right to vote. I'll be able to drink legally and come home at whatever time I want. In a year or two I'll be off to college and rebuilding my own life from scratch.

The week before my birthday, my mom poured a cold glass of water over my head and told me I was invited alongside Aria's family to celebrate my Eighteenth birthday in some fancy resort on a Carribean island.

She rummaged through my dresser, threw all my clothes into five suitcases and called it a day. The next morning Aria, her family and I boarded a plane, and bid my family farewell.

Now here I am. 

The crimson sunset was both bold and beautiful, playing a game of peek-a-boo behind white beds of cotton nestled atop the skies. The palm trees swayed and danced in the warm breeze. The evening music of birds and crickets chorused over the gentle strain of tinkering laughter.

A group of teenage boys were playing a game of frisbe nearby, throwing the disk between themselves and chortling in merriment. A women in her late 40's stood on the edge of the veranda, dressed in a white & over-flowing gown and watched in fixation as the whirling cloulds floated across the crimson sky.

I could feel the joy and felicity in the air. The soft sound of a snoring child and the chattering of the bikini-cladden girls as they laid their sun-soaked bodies to rest in the mid-summer heat.