Chapter Five: Crazy Luck

Connor stared at Eve a big grin plastered on his face. “Why weren’t you in Study Hall?” He asked softly, and his grin quickly turned into a frown. He leaned forward, brushing her hair behind her ear and wrinkling his nose.

            He brought back his hand, slapping her hard and Eve fell to the ground. She stared up at him in shock and he glared down at her. “Who were you with? It was him wasn’t it? You whore!” He kicked gravel into her face before bringing his foot back and kicking her hard in the stomach.

            Eve gasped, the wind knocked out of her. Connor leaned over grabbing a fistful of her hair, dragging her down the sidewalk. Eve began to scream and twist, trying to get loose. “Shut up you slut!” He kicked her again in the stomach, silencing her screams.

            Eve writhed around searching for help, but all she saw were people shutting their doors, and closing their windows. She reached up, clawing at Connor’s arm, and he dropped her, letting her head hit the cement.

            “You’re lucky this time bitch.” He hissed in her ear, and she could smell the alcohol on his breath. He turned and sprinted off as a pair of big strong arms lifted Eve up. She tried to focus on the face but her vision was blurry and it soon went black.

***

            She awoke in a bed that wasn’t hers. She jerked upright before feeling a pain in her side and a groan escaped her lips.

            “Don’t strain yourself.” Will sat in a chair next to the bed glancing over at her. Eve blushed faintly before glancing down at her lap.

            “Thank you.” Her voice was barely a whisper, and she slowly curled up staring down at the floor. Flashes of the night before ran through her mind and she glanced up at Will. “You saved my life.”

            Will simply shrugged at her remark, and then Eve heard a loud slam. Will’s eyes widen before filling with fear. Then the look went away as quickly as it had come. “I’ll be right back.” Will started to stand up but Eve grabbed onto his wrist. He jerked back in surprise his eyes wide before he recognized her. “Sorry. I’ll be right back, I promise.” He smiled gently at her but just then the door opened.

            A broad-shouldered man in his late forties stood in the doorway. He wore a black suit, and a red tie. He had blonde hair but Will’s blue eyes. “Who the hell is this bitch?”

            At this point Eve was really getting tired of being called a bitch. She parted her lips to make a retort, but Will quickly spoke. “She’s a friend from school.”

“Will. I want to see you privately.” Will swallowed and straightened his shoulders. He walked out of the room, closing the door behind him. Luckily for Eve, the walls were thick, so that she didn’t have to hear Will’s screams.

***

            Eve passed out soon after Will left the room, and when she woke up Will wasn’t anywhere to be found. “Will?” She called out softly. She heard quiet sobbing coming from somewhere down the hall, so she slowly got up walking towards the door at the very end of the hall. She placed her hand on the doorknob and slowly turned it.

            It was a bathroom. Will stood over the sink, tears streaming down his face as he slowly dragged a knife down the length of his arm. Eve gasped and shoved Will hard, the knife falling to the ground. “What the hell are you doing?” Eve grabbed Will’s bloodied arm, and that’s when she noticed all the scars. Her eyes widen and she shook her head, searching through the medicine cabinet. She managed to find some gauze and she wrapped up Will’s arm. She sat down next to him, letting him lay his head in her lap.