Chapter Ten: Ben

As the weeks drug on, Eve continued to avoid the mysterious new boy that resembled her former lover. She did everything in her power to ignore him and it worked for a while. However even Eve knew she couldn’t run from the shadows of her past forever.

“Hey? You’re the only girl here who hasn’t hit on me, but so far you’ve been the only one that looks remotely interesting to talk to.” Eve heard his voice and stiffened. Majority of the other patients were in bed, as curfew would begin shortly and the staff had seemingly disappeared for some reason; probably out taking a quick break before the night shift.

Eve slowly turned around glancing up at Ben. “Hello, sorry I’m not much of a talker.” Eve nodded, dropping her gaze to the ground and folding her arms.

“You seem to get along just fine with that Rebecca girl.” Ben smirked down at her. “Did I do something? You’ve been avoiding me haven’t you?”

“Paranoid much?” Eve snapped at him, glaring.

“Feisty and beautiful. Where have you been all my life?” Ben smirked down at her and leaned closer.

“Hey! No touching.” One of the staff members walked in grinning at the two of them. “It’s time to go to bed, say goodnight.” She nodded and headed to the other common room.

She glared up at Ben, before rolling her eyes. She turned to go but felt a hand close around her wrist. “No touching.” She glared back at him, before biting her lips her expression softening. He had an eyebrow raised and was grinning at her with the same crooked smile that Will had worn. She felt her eyes tear up and she pulled away from his grasp taking off and running out of the room.

“Hey no running either.” The same staff member before caught her, studying her carefully.

“Sorry.” Eve offered the woman a small smile. “I just really have to go to the bathroom.” Eve lowered her gaze to the ground hoping to look embarrassed. The women immediately let go, nodding Eve forward. Eve smiled gratefully before briskly walking back to her room. 

She found Rebecca sleeping and she sighed in relief at her luck. She stumbled forward in the dark before finding her bed and slipping under the covers. However Eve wouldn’t have slept so soundly if she knew her luck was just about to run out.

***

            Eve awoke in the morning to Rebecca’s screams and she bolted upright.

“What’s wrong?” Eve glanced over at Rebecca only to see her slowly sit up.

“I’m fine… just an uh… bad dream.” Rebecca sighed rubbing her eyes, before two staff members rushed in, looking around quickly. “I’m okay everyone, I just… had a nightmare.” Rebecca smiled over at the staff members but they still entered the room and began prodding around.

When the staff members were certain there was nothing dangerous in the room, they nodded once at the girls and left.

Once the staff members were gone, Ben stood in the doorway eyebrows raised in concern. “Everyone okay in here?”

“We’re fine.” Eve stood up and attempted to walk past Ben but he stood in her way.

“Why do you hate me so much?” His eyes narrowed slightly, one eyebrow arched accusingly.

“I don’t hate you… just leave me alone.” Eve pushed past him and continued on, walking into the main room to receive breakfast.

***

            They had ten minutes of Quiet Time and Eve wandered down the hall, staring out of the windows. They had painted murals over it so people couldn’t see in, but you could still see out. She ran a hand through her hair, studying the sky. She shook her head before a cough behind her made her glance back. Ben stood there, arms folded eyebrows raised.

            “Why did you come here?” He asked her quietly, his expression softening.

            Eve studied him for a moment before exhaling. Maybe it was time to move on. “Attempted Suicide.”

            “Method?” His voice was softer this time.

            “Hanging.”

            “You know that doesn’t always work, but why?” Ben’s eyes were narrowed, his eyebrows furrowed.

            Eve glared. “Why the sudden game of 21 questions?”

            “It’s a fun game.” He responded simply before glancing back. “I forgot to get my vitals checked, I’ll see you later.” He strode off before Eve could ask why he was in here.

***

            Later that day, Eve received a visitor. She had asked if it was her father again, (she had sent him away multiple times and still didn’t wish to see him) but all she got in response was a no.

            She entered a small beige room with a couple of leisurely placed chairs. She chose a plush red one, curling up on it. The door opened slowly and to Eve’s surprise, Liz was the one who walked in.  

A/N: Sorry I kinda skipped last week because I forgot. I've been incredibly busy trying to juggle all my random projects. I'll have to put this story on hold for a little bit... I'll try to at least bring it to a close if anything. So sorry for the last update, but yeah.