Coffee and Confidences

The rain hadn't slowed and it didn't show any signs that it would soon. Garrett closed the store when it was time, sighing in a mix of contentment and frustration. He was still excited for his dream coming true, but the weather had made opening day much less of a success than he had hoped it would be.

That night, after he finished baking a few more things for the next day, he sat with Brownie on the couch, watching re-runs of Forensic Files and eating chicken salad, already in his pajamas and so tired he could've fallen asleep right there.

Even though he hadn't had the flow of customers he had been expecting, the ones he did have left him with the feeling that he was doing things right. Especially that gorgeous stranger, Nate. Something had told him the man had been looking for shelter from not only the rain that day. His eyes had been really expressive and though Garrett hadn't asked if something was bothering him, he could see there was. He could see it in his gaze, the smiles that didn't quite reach his eyes, in the way he seemed to get lost in himself. Garrett wondered what kind of man Nate was. He had a sweet, gentle air, but he seemed so restrained, as if he had to control his every action and Garrett was certainly intrigued by the way he had felt so instantly charmed by him, but who could really blame him.

The sound of his phone distracted him from his thoughts of that mysterious, yet adorable stranger. It was Dana, who had just gotten home from a long shift at work and wanted to everything about Garrett's first day at the bakery. She sounded tired, but enthusiastic, with every detail he told her, and by the time he hung up the phone fifteen minutes later, he was also so exhausted that all thoughts of Nate were pushed to the back of his mind. He got up, quickly washed the dishes, turned the TV off, and went straight to bed; Brownie followed behind him, purring quietly.

He got under the sheets with a sigh of relief, with the warm weight of his cat at his feet, he fell asleep in minutes.

His last conscious thought was one single word that slipped through his lips like a breath: tomorrow.

----

At noon, Garrett's eyes started glancing at the door every few seconds as he worked. The weather was much nicer than the day before and people seemed to be making up for such a lousy opening. There was a small queue in front of the counter and two of the four tables were occupied.

By twelve-thirty, the sound of the door opening made him hold his breath until he studied the new customers coming in to make sure they didn't have hazel eyes and dark styled hair.

At one o'clock, a lady came in to place an important order of cupcakes for a party in one of the surrounding buildings. They needed to be done for the next day and Garrett spent about twenty minutes writing down flavors and different requests the woman had. After that, he had kept himself easily distracted as he made sure he had enough ingredients for the order.

By two o'clock, Nate's absence was quite obvious. He eyed the cheesecake in the display next to him quickly, but plastered a smile on his face to greet the next customer.

By four o'clock, Garrett told himself he was silly for letting something like this affect him in any way. He didn't even know Nate. And even if the other man had come in like he had promised, it didn't mean anything. That guy was probably straight and had a girlfriend. He didn't need a crush on one of his customers. It was the worst idea ever.

By six o'clock, Garrett closed the store and threw the cheesecake in the garbage before going to the kitchen to bake two hundred cupcakes.

----

Nate walked out of the building and looked at the closed bakery across the street. It was already dark outside and he had stayed extra late working on a case that his father was pressuring him with. He gripped his briefcase with more strength than necessary before turning around and walking to the parking lot to get his car.