5. I Hate You

Lucknow, India

Meera was busy in her kitchen, cooking noodles for herself. She was still thinking about her previous day's experiences. She couldn't understand why she had that uneasy feeling. What is going to happen? Why am I feeling like this? She wanted to call Sapna. But how could she? She had destroyed that phone long back. And in this age of technology, who remembered the phone numbers.

The doorbell rang, bringing Meera out of her thoughts. She looked at the wall clock. It was barely half-past nine. Who has come early in the morning? No deliveries were also scheduled at this time...no one visits me. She took a knife in her hand and moved towards the door. And opened it.... In front of her stood her worst nightmare. The man she hated. Aryan Sinha.

"Hi sweetheart. How are you?" Aryan asked Meera, entering the house. He hugged Meera and inhaled her scent. "I missed you," he whispered. All this while, Meera looked at him in shock. It had been five years since she had last seen this man. This man who had destroyed her life. This man because of whom she had to leave her family. And he was hugging her. 

She pushed him with all her force. "What the hell are you doing in my house?" she asked. Aryan looked at her stunned. There was hate written all over her face. "Meera, I...," he tried to speak bit could form no words. "Get out of my house," she screamed. And tried to push him. "Please Meera, give me a chance," he begged. "Will you leave or not?" she asked him in a determined voice. Aryan shook his head in no. He could not and would not leave her again. He wanted to be with her, to live with her. But Meera had other plans, "Fine. You stay here and I will go." She moved out of the flat. 

It took a few minutes for Aryan to register what happened. He ran outside and saw Meera going to a park. He ran behind her, thousand thoughts running in his mind. He was soon standing in front of her, holding her hands,not letting her go. "Meera, I know I was at fault. I know I have hurt you. But please. Please, give me a chance. I think I do deserve a chance at least. I love you, Meera.

Meera looked at him in the eye. There was a time when she wanted to hear these words but now, they meant nothing to her. "There is only one thing I can give you Aryan. Just one thing. And that is hatred. Because it is all I feel for you. For you and for my so called family. I HATE YOU, ARYAN SINHA. I HATE YOU." Aryan looked at her aghast. His wife, his love hated him. His breath began to crack. "No, you cannot hate me. Please don't hate me, Meera. Please." he whispered. There were tears in his eyes. His hold on her hands loosened. 

"Come back to me. I can't live without you," he said looking into her eyes. "At that time you didn't care, now I don't," she replied. Taking a deep sigh, he spoke, "I love you, Meera. Punish me all you want but don't leave me alone." "I don't love you. In fact the only feeling I have for you is hatred," said Meera. She walked away from him.

Men shouldn't cry, they said. But in that moment, he could just cry. He felt helpless. The sky cried with him. As the raindrops fell on his body, he fell down on the ground and muttered, "Don't leave me alone, Meera. I have no one other than you."

An old man came to him and kept his hand on his shoulder and asked, "She left you?" He nodded. The man asked again, "For someone else." He shook his head in no. "Then go and win her back," said the old man. 

Aryan looked at the old man and nodded. Yes, he should not lose hope so easily. He should try again. He got up and ran after his wife. He soon caught up with her. "Listen Meera. Listen to me at least once. Please." She did not stop. Not having any other option left, Aryan said, "At least talk to Sapna." The words had the desired effect on Meera. She stopped. Aryan moved closer to her and forwarded his phone to her. "Your niece. Sara." Meera looked at the photo and then at Aryan.

All these years, she had kept herself strong, reminding herself the pain her family had given her. And she had been successful. But looking at that one picture, all her strength crumpled. She loved Sapna, like her own sister. Apart from that, they were childhood friends. Torn between love and hate, she once again looked at the photo...

____________________________________________

So, how is it? 

Will Meera talk to Sapna?  Will she forgive Aryan? What has happened between them?

~Purnima