Chapter Eleven

The airport in Aguadilla is small -- I mean only one gate small. They still roll out the mobile steps on the tarmac to load and disembark passengers from the aircraft. There is one baggage claim carousel. I absolutely love it!

I like the feeling I get inside as I watch families gathered to greet their returning loved ones. It's like watching multiple family reunions and parties all in one place. Will my reunion with Nate be as filled with emotion? I won't let the doubts creep into my thinking. I know Mia will be excited to see me, so that will have to do for now.

I watch from behind the heavy velvet rope barriers as my eyes dart back and forth. I stand on my tiptoes to see over the sea of people crowding around me searching for that one familiar face among the passengers entering the arrivals area. Then I spy a light-brown head of hair among so many darker heads of hair. I still can't see a face but something about the loping gait of the figure through the press of humanity has me grinning. Nate's movements are so reminiscent of the teenaged boy caught up in puberty and the sudden growth spurts that left him clumsy.

I raise my hand high waving frantically as I call out, "Nate! Nate!" I think I might need to call out again with the competition from the greetings in rapid Spanish, laughter, and enthusiastic conversations around me, but I hold it back as I see his heavily lidded brown eyes so much like Joshua's rise to meet mine.

His finger points over to a doorway on the side of the terminal and without even a smile, Nate walks to the door. Disappointment floods me at the absence of a smile on my son's face. I feel my happiness fade for a second before I silently chastise myself. He had a long flight and is tired. He's doing you a huge favor, so show your appreciation.I'm so fixated on watching Nate that I don't see Carrie marching towards me until she calls out when she's ten yards from me. My eyebrows gather together furrowing in confusion.

"Carrie? I didn't know you were coming. Wow, what a surprise!" My lips stick to my instantly dry gums rolling under in an uptight version of a smile. The Sahara Desert has invaded my mouth.

"Hello, Mother. Imagine my surprise that you invited Nate down to your new home but not me. I thought I'd crash the party." Carrie's head tips to the side and I recognize the studied look on her face. She wants to unsettle me.

"What a wonderful surprise! I hope one of you doesn't mind sleeping on the couch because my place is only a two bedroom." My inner diva cheers at my poise as I embrace my daughter in a full-on hug before pulling back to look her in the eyes.  Do I see irritation in her hazel eyes?  She wanted to get the upper hand but I prevented it. Good. This visit will be on my terms.

I don't know if it was the sound of frantic scratching on the concrete flooring or the happy barking that has my head swiveling; but within seconds, my yellow fur baby jumps up on me. I quickstep backward juggling her sudden weight against my body as I fight to keep upright. A wet tongue licks every inch of my face amid canine whines and happy barks. Mia's heavy tail lashes back and forth — an unwitting weapon to anyone getting too close.

Nate stands back shaking his head."You owe me big time, Mom. Mia is a freaking handful of energy," Nate grumbles.

An apology is on my lips, but his wry smile halts my words. Instead, I offer, "Thank you, Nate. I do appreciate it. I'm so excited to see you, and Carrie. How long can you stay?"

"I have three days and then I must get back. Hopefully, it's long enough to convince you to end this madness," Carrie interjected as she slung her carry-on bag over her shoulder.

"I'm leaving with Carrie because I took time off to get Mia. Let me grab Mia's crate and my bag and then we can talk some more." My ever-reliable son hands me Mia's leash before securing the travel items.

I motion to Carrie that I'm taking Mia outside so she can relieve herself. Once I'm out of the building, I breathe in deeply, shuddering as I exhale. It's as if I'm ridding my body from the stench of the bad mojo I received from my daughter. Overhead are blue skies and palm fronds blowing in the warm ocean breezes. I can't imagine anyone getting off of a plane which landed in paradise anxiously wishing to get back onboard to head home.

What the hell is wrong with my Carrie? Is her life so bereft of joy and pleasure that she can't recognize the possibilities of it when they are right in front of her?

I don't have to wait too long for them to join me in front of the small terminal. As I lead them over to my small car, I realize we won't get everything inside. Four bodies, a large dog crate, and two bags? Crap! I wonder what I will do when my knight in shining armor buzzes into the parking lot in his Jeep. I'm torn with foreboding at having them meet him and wanting to give him a big kiss for having my back.

"Oh my God, Mother! How did you imagine we would all fit?"

I don't bother looking at Carrie when I answer, "It's taken care of — don't freak out." Out of the corner of my eye, I see her jaw drop. Mom - 1, Carrie - zilch.