Chapter Sixteen

After several days exploring some beautiful spots around the western shores of the island, I decide to spend a day hanging out at the beach by the condo. The weather is beautiful, and I want to go over the photos I've taken to select those I wish to use for my website and those photos that will be marketed to publications or for private sales.

Computers ease the process that I went through years ago with individual prints or slides and a magnifying glass to look at the details and for imperfections. Then filing them manually instead of clicking and placing the items in an electronic file and backing them up. Plus, I get to work from wherever I wish to be at the time, and right now, that's the beach.

I grab my computer bag, chair, and my beach tote before leaving the condo double-checking my bag for my keys and sunscreen. Is it me or is my step lighter and more carefree of late? I would say "Yes!" to that internal query. I do feel more at peace.

Not only am I being myself, but my kids seem to be more respectful of me since their visit. I've been calling them about the places I've visited, and Carrie suggested I write a blog about them and post photos offering them for purchase. It's a good idea and one I will have to look at in the future.

I settle down on my chair under an umbrella and grab a bottle of water and my laptop. I'm deep into my photos of the boardwalk when a familiar Southern drawl says, "Hi,Libs, miss me?"

My heart skips a beat at the sound of his voice. I close my eyes before replying, "Hi Griff. How's life?" I'm going for nonchalant, but I'd be okay with bitchy being my tone.

"Wow. You didn't answer my question."

"And you didn't answer mine, either." And, that sounds bitchy. Good work, Libby.

His silence after I spoke is too much for me to endure without seeing the look on his face. I chance a glance but see only a blank look as if he's weighing what to say next.

"I've been doing my best to keep the woman you met at the airport comfortable and sane. She misses her husband and doesn't like being cooped up." His answer surprises me with its hint of frustration and honesty. He shrugs before saying, "I sure can't blame her. She's also very pregnant, and I'm hoping she can reunite with her husband soon."

I nod and extend my hand in an invitation for him to sit on the sand beside me.

"Did your visit go okay with your kids?"

"It really did end up working out. They've stopped preaching to me about my bad choices." I can't help but smile at the memory of my last conversation with Carrie.

"I'm glad." His head tips to the side as he looks at the laptop's screen. "Those are great photos, Libby. It does look like you've been busy."

"Thanks. I have been working on my portfolio, exploring a bit and making friends." Satisfaction flows through me with my acknowledgment of how much I'd accomplished on my own. I close the screen of the laptop and turn to look at Griff. "And to answer your question, I did miss you, at first. Then I began working on the goals I'd set for myself when I arrived and became immersed in my own life."

"I'm glad for you, Libs. Would it be too cavalier of me to ask if you might have time for me when my guest leaves?" His gaze locks on the ocean. His profile projects serenity except for a minute twitch of a muscle along his jawline. I wonder if it's a "tell" like when a gambler bluffs at the card table.

"I guess we will see what happens when the time comes. I've decided not to make too many promises or commitments. I'm done with that." My fingers grip the sides of the laptop. Am I making a mistake by keeping my distance from Griff? Is he really bad news?

"Do you know what people in the area say about you behind your back?" Might as well throw it out there instead of stewing about it.

His head swivels in my direction, and I note a glint in his eyes along with a thinning of his lips as he presses them tightly together. "I've heard some of it."

"Well, is it true?"

"Do I look like a ghost? A demon?"

"They say you're dealing with illegal goods and that's how you afford your home." My voice trembles with emotion.

"Do you believe I would do something like that, Libby?" He sounds disappointed, and I find I'm disappointed in myself.

"No, I can't believe it, but I've never been good at seeing the worst in people I care about even when it was visible for all to see." The sadness in his eyes startles me. He doesn't always allow others to see his emotions on display so openly.

"I've been truthful with you, Libby. My line of work requires secrecy but not for the reasons your friends believe." Griff shifts his position and begins to rise to his feet. "I keep the bad guys from hurting good people." And with those words, he turns and walks away from me.

My eyes follow him until he is a speck on the distant sand, and a teardrop lands on my keyboard.I fear I may never see him again and that would be a damn shame.