Chapter 2 : Glass House

Pulling up to Brianna's house , I felt myself taking my first breathe since entering the car. The thirty minute car drive felt like it would never come to a end. I rushed out as soon as he turned the engine off. Being so close to him had my emotions all over the place. I needed some space and time to process everything. Walking up to the house , I ring the doorbell. I fell his  callous hands touch my lower back and I could think about was ripping his hands off me." Babe are you okay ? You seem off." , Melvin asked. It took everything in my soul to look in him in the eye and respond. I kept my answer short and looked away quickly. My eyes always had a way of showing how I was truly feeling.

God must have heard my silent prayer when Benny opened the door. I rushed inside giving him a long and hard hug. Always on in touch with me , he hugged me back even harder and whispered " we'll talk later" in my ear.  I left as Melvin and him fell into a deep conversation. Brianna the fashionista I know her to be , I knew she would pull all the stops for this party.Searching for her through the crowds of guests , I grabbed two glasses of champagne from a passing tray. If I was going to make it tonight without falling apart , I needed some help. I knew the champagne wasn't going to due it for me , so I walked over to the bar.

" Beauty has your picture next to the defintion in the dictionary .", he whispered near my ear.  I laughed so hard felt a tear slide down my cheek. " You have been using that same pickup line since we were kids Derek. I hope that's not what you use when you pick up women" , I replied. Flashing his panties dropping smile he just shrugged. Derek was Benny older brother. He travels alot for his job as an financial advisor. I haven't seen in a while but it felt good to see a familiar face. " So baby girl please tell me you came to your senses and dump that sorry good for nothing man of yours" , he asked. Before I could replied , Melvin responded " No , I'm still here".  Melvin wrapped his arms around my waist possessively  pulling me to his chest.

" I'll catch you later J" , Derek replied before giving Melvin a hard stare then walking away. " Why do you always have to do that ? Derek and I go way back Melvin. There's nothing going on between us" , I told him pulling his arms off my waist. " Jayla dead that shit. I don't like how he always trying to persuade you to leave me.", he responded. " Well if you weren't in the club that night all in that  girl's face that night. Then he wouldn't think otherwise about you" , I throw back at him. " Look that was two years ago and I told you already I went to school with her brother. And even she told you that shit. I'm not even trying to fight with you." , he said. I just rolled my eyes and ordered another drink.

So far I was doing a terrible job hiding my emotions and I needed to pull my shit together. Melvin ordered himself a drink and moved closer to me putting his hand on my lower back. He kissed my temple and said " You look really beautiful tonight. That dress is showing all your curves and I can't wait to get home to ripped it off you." My heart broke into a million more pieces hearing him say that  knowing he felt otherwise. Before I could turn to look at him I heard Brianna say behind " I told you that dress would look amazing on you". Thankful for her timing , I took a deep breath calming my nerves before I looked her way. I could feel tears ready to form in my eyes.

Looking at the goddess herself ,  I was in awe at how beautiful she was tonight. She wore a short red dress that complimented her caramel skin and showed off all those curves she had. That was the difference between Brianna and I , she knew she was the shit and made the room revolve around to her wherever she entered. " Look at my favorite love birds " , I could hear annoyance in her tone as she said it . Brianna was never a big fan of Melvin and he felt the same way about her. Melvin excused himself and disappeared in the crowds of people. " Benny told me you seemed off . And now seeing you , I know something is off. And I bet that fuckboy has something to do about it.", she said loud enough so I could hear but low enough no one else did.

I sighed and ordered another drink. " I'm not going to try to act like I'm fine because I know we both know I'm not", I said looking at the bar. Swallowing my drink in one gulp I looked at her " But tonight is not about me. Tonight we are celebrating you and your success. We can deal with my problems tomorrow" , I said looking into her eyes. Before she could even respond, I interrupted her " Lets get drunk and dance the night away. Brianna knew if I didn't want to talk about something I wasn't going to.
I could tell she was having a mental debate by the way she was looking at me. I grabbed her arm and dragged her to the middle of the dance as our song came on. I knew she would forget about my problems and start dancing immediately. I don't know what it was about Juvenile "Slow Motion", but whenever we heard we automatically started backing it up. I felt myself to relax the more I danced. Melvin was nowhere to be found and  I could care less.  Benny and Derek joined us on the dance floor at some point. And we partied like we were in college again.