Uber Confessions

It's going to be an amazing day.

At least, that's what I was desperately trying to convince myself from the second I received that dreadful phone call from my best friend; the one who has always desperately desired something more out of our already suspiciously close relationship.

"Hey, so..I know how much you preach about not wanting things to change, and how everything is perfect the way it already is. But..all I've been thinking about for these past 2 years is how perfect we could be together. So..I'm asking of you..can you please give me the honor of taking you on a date?"

"..."

"Riley?"

"Sure, Lucas. I'd be happy to."

"Really? You mean it? I just thought it'd be a lot harder considering that-"

"Yeah, I understand. Thanks for asking."

"Ok..I was thinking we could-"

"Sorry, Lucas..can you just text me that information later. I'm feeling kind of sick at the moment so.."

"Oh! Well if that's the case I can bring you something to help you feel better?-"

"No!! Sorry..just not in the mood for visitors right now.."

"Well I hope you get well soon, Riles. Can't wait to see you!"

"Yeah. I can't wait either. Bye, Lucas"

I couldn't comprehend as to why I accepted this date proposal out of all of the countless ones he has handed to me already, or as to why I was filled with such disinterest at the thought of going on a date with the most eligible bachelor of our school. Secretly, I hoped this date would knock some sense into my mind and finally fix me and the empty void I felt, despite the never-ending love confessions handed to me near the seemingly never ending rows of blue lockers lined up against the scuffed, white walls of Abigail Adams High.

So here I was, a 17 year old teenager who should've been jumping for joy at the night of their first date in their short-lived life. Instead, my legs were sprawled against the bed and my hands were balled into fists as I tightly gripped the bedsheets over my head. My phone chimes afterwards, indicating a text message was sent. I sigh, clumsily feeling around the nightstand until my fingers make contact with the cold glass screen. Retreating my hand away from the cold air and back under the comfort of my bedsheets, my hand tightly clutching the phone, I squint my eyes as I read the text message on the screen illuminating my currently weary expression.

Insistent Cowboy: Hey Riles, I'll be at the restaurant in 30 minutes! I'm so sorry I couldn't be there to pick you up, turns out one of us has to be there in time or our reservation would be cancelled. I ordered you an Uber, it should be there in 25 minutes. Can't wait to see you 🧡

I roll my eyes, quickly typing a simple response.

Kay.

Instantly deciding against it, I delete my response and mentally scold myself for being so cold to the boy who has been nothing but kind with me since the day we awkwardly met on one of those nasty, unhygienic yet classic New York subways—- nevertheless grateful for that moment that gave me my best friend (too kind, even. But that was a discussion for another time). Perhaps I was just lashing out at him in response to my frustration of not being able to feel a romantic connection with, well, anyone.