Chapter 8

"Kazumi?" Temari exclaimed whereas Gaara kept his composure and uttered my nane in what could be mistaken for a whisper.

"Gaara?Temari?" I exclaimed upon seeing them.

"Kankurou?". Our moment of shock had been been interrupted by the other sand sibling. Gaara didn't budge and Temari just shook her head. Their reactions made me snicker causing him to glare at me.

"Who are you?" he questioned.

"I'm the person from the Chuunin Exams" I stated. I averted my attention to the large bag that clearly had a body in it. Gaara was not even bothered about me knowing but Kankurou seemed to have a problem.

"I think it's best that you keep your mouth shut" he warned. I hadn't even planned on exposing the current situation to anyone but I was curious to see what would happen if I wasn't showing any signs of compliance.

"And what if I don't?"

He took his stance, glaring at me. I got the answer I wanted based on his movement, battle. I nodded and a turned my head to the bag. Why put the body in a bag? Couldn't Gaara just use sand coffin?

As if my mind had been read, Gaara destroyed the dead body with sand coffin. Along with the body went the big black bag.

"Kazumi," Gaara started getting my attention quickly.

"Were you following me?"

Of course he'd think that! A purely coincidental occurrence had now become the ultimate stalker. How fun!

"No I swear I wasn't!" I protested. My mind however decided to add to my words, 'this time'. It was a good thing that minds couldn't be read or at least she hoped they couldn't.

"I just happened to find you here. It's simply a coincidence" I continued. I tried to read him but that seemed impossible. He had the same expression as he had the day I saw him. Not a bit of change.

"Kazumi" he uttered almost like a whisper making me quiver slightly. He grabbed my hand and pulled me outside.

"Kazumi, why do you try so hard to earn my trust?"

"I hate knowing that you think I'm like everyone else. Thinking that I'll try to break you down when it's not true"

"And what if I break down this wall of isolation and distrust for you?"

Those words echoed throughout my mind. 'For you, for you, for you'. Would he do that? I wondered if he was just trying to see how I'd react. I kept a straight face while I contenplated if he was actually willing to trust me.

"I'd make you that you would not regret it"

"And that's what I mean" What did he mean? I was way too confused for my own liking.

"Meaning..."

"People always say those things and guess who ends up regretting it" I stayed silent. His words had some truth to it.

"Kazumi, as of now pretend you don't know me. See me and don't see me. Act as if you don't know me. Walk to that park with no expectations of seeing me there. That assurance you have, thinking that you could change my mind, throw it away. Believing that you could help me? Throw that away. Thinking that you understand me? Well throw that away too because you don't. And throw away that bit of hope you have in thinking that we could be friends"

My body felt weak. The truth did indeed hurt. I thought that this was untrue at first but there was one thing he didn't do when je always spoke to me like this. He didn't say that one sentence that made me feel better. That one sentence that seemed to overthrow the cons. This was real.

"Expectations kill don't they? That look of regret in your eyes, those watery eyes that are almost at its limit. I warned you. You were the one who continued to fight for my trust, something you would have never been able to get. I'm not responsible, you are"

I hadn't meant to cry infront of him but that was way too hurtful. All that I did was in vain and that was painful to admit. I was angry and hurt. Could he be so heartless to not even care about my feelings? I was still cold because of the wet clothes that I still had on me. I had forgotten that I wanted to change when I had seen Gaara. Now I wish that I hadn't. Expectations really do kill. I didn't bother to stay any longer.

"Sure Gaara. I'll throw away my expectations. But most importantly I'll throw away my feelings" I said as I walked away.