Chapter Five: She's An Angel Sent To Me

John was out with his friends at the same park he took Ariel to a few days before.  His friends had to snap their fingers in his face to get his attention he was so out of touch with what was going on.  

"So, how was your date with the preacher's daughter?  Did she catch you up on your bible studies?" One of his friends mused.  John snuffed out his cigarette in the grass.  "Look, she isn't crazy like her father.  She's really sweet...but easily frightened."

His friend smirked.  "That doesn't sound like your type."  

"What's my type?" he crossed his arms.  

The smirk only grew.  "Girls who know how to put out."  A few of John's other friends laughed, but John grew regretful.  Was that what everyone said, that he would pressure girls?  Was that why Ariel was afraid of him?  

About an hour later, when the group was walking home, his friend tugged John aside.  "You aren't really falling for that bird, are you?  She's always off in a daze.  I didn't know she could speak."  John began to get frustrated.  

"She's just quiet.  She's not loud about her thoughts.  She's actually quite thoughtful, though.  Just because she isn't someone I would normally fancy doesn't mean she's strange.  Ariel's beautiful."  

The friend was still unconvinced.  "Good luck getting past her dad."  

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hurried to clean my room, hoping that John would sent a letter, or, even better, show up at my window.  I was starting to get drawn to him in a way I couldn't explain, but I knew my father would.  He would say it was a petty infatuation.  Or worse, lust.  

That would have me punished for months.  

That morning I picked out one of my nicer dresses to wear, and I put my hair up for a change.  After getting the groceries, Father said that he would be busy at the church for Catechism and the two evening masses.  I did not need to attend, but he wanted me to read a few special bible verses while he was gone, and he did not want me up late when he got back.  

But I didn't touch that leather-bound book.  

While I was folding up some of my clothes, I heard a soft knock on my window.  It was him, and I quickly let him step inside.  But soon my excitment faded.  It was so wrong.  It was dangerous...

"Hello, Ariel," he said quietly.  

"It's alright.  My dad isn't here.  He won't be back for awhile or so.  Here, let's go in the living room."  I opened my door for him.  "I'll make some tea."  

When I returned from the kitchen, I saw John pick up my father's guitar and start to play it.  My father only played hymns, never anything like the songs I heard on the radio.  And his music had a sharp rhythm; he could play rock and roll music on an acoustic guitar.  

He put it down when he saw me.  "No," I said, quickly.  "Please...keep playing.  You're good at it."  

John played for a little while longer before sitting down next to me.  I handed him his cup.  "Only one?" he said, noticing I didn't have one.  

"I drank some earlier," I explained, looking down at the ground with my hands in my lap.  "But I don't want my father to see two cups.  He'll know someone was here."  

He set down his teacup, swallowing hard.  John gently took one of my hands.  "Are you always so afraid of him?"  Instead of my heart racing, it seemed to calm.  To most girls it would have done the opposite, but my heart raced constantly and he was the only one to stop it.  His kind eyes tried to meet mine.  "Why are you so afraid of him?"