Chapter one - When introduced

Her hands pass

The flower path

Bright colors or orange and red

Dancing flames

North, South, East, and West

The sun gleaming fondly

Birds flapping wildly

With a girl that felt free

_____

I walk into school for what feels like the hundredth time this week, shrugging my bag higher onto my shoulders. People pass me by, mostly ignoring me, with some hellos here and there. I don't reply to most of them, I have a destination to get to and I need to get to it now. I finally see a person from my friend group leaning against his locker, talking to a girl. I roll my eyes. Such a player. "Kalvin!" I whisper-shout, getting his attention. The girl glares at me for taking his attention away. I roll my eyes and pull him away. "Kalvin Carter James!" He flinches at the sound of his full name.

"What??" He says, his face twisting into panic. "What did I do this time? Did I-"

I hit the back of his head. "It's Estelle's birthday in two days and you're telling me that you didn't get the decorations like you were supposed to? What kind of-"

His eyes widen and he interrupts me. "Shoot. I'm so sorry Cath."

I narrow my eyes at him. "You better be." I glance behind him. "Hurry, act natural." I whisper to him.

"Wait what why-" I put a hand over his mouth.

Estelle comes over, almost knocking me over. "Hey guys!" She says, smiling.

I nod at her. "Hey. Do you know where Hunter is?"

She shakes her head. "That wacko ditched me before we even got to school, but she's probably around somewhere."

Kalvin and I laugh, joining her as she starts walking to her first class. I wave to them as they get to their seats, walking over to my own class. I'm about to turn into the door, but someone comes running through the doorway, almost knocking me over. I recognize the cropped black hair immediately. "Hunter!" I call to her.

She turns around and sighs. "Man, I was really hoping that nobody would notice me."

"Skipping again?" I raise my eyebrow.

She nods sheepishly. "Sorry. I know I told you I'd do better but I-"

"I know." I say. "You can go, I guess, but don't do it again, okay?"

"I can't dumbo. You yelled out my name loud and clear. Pretty sure Mrs. Weasel heard you. She's already doing that creepy stare she always does."

I roll my eyes. "It's Whistle. Not Weasel." I say, even though I know she knows that.

She mimics my action then laughs, gesturing to the doorway. "After you."

I go, taking a seat at the back.

Nothing happens throughout the whole lesson, and the class after that, and after that... so pretty soon it's lunchtime. The craziest time of the day. I get my food, opting for dry pizza, then head over to where my friends are. I see a new kid next to Estelle.

"Hey Cath! We were just talking about you! This is my other cousin." She says, pointing at the guy sitting next to her. He has long, curly brown hair and is wearing a big grin.

"Hey." He smiles at me.

I return it. "Hi. I Think you already know my name's Catherine?" I question.