Chapter seven - When shopping

I wake up the next morning still in my clothes from the night before. I sigh. After the party last night, I had been so tired that I flopped onto my bed without another word. I get up lazily, checking my phone for any notifications. None. What a surprise. I hum quietly to myself before undressing and going into the shower, rinsing the filth from yesterday. I get out, wrapping a towel around myself. I rummage through my drawer. What to wear, what to wear... Thankfully, today is a Sunday- which means I'm basically free to do whatever I want -but I made plans with Estelle, Hunter, and Lyka to hang out. I finally pick out a red polo crop top- which isn't really a crop on me because I'm so short - and some black jeans, pairing it with my dirty white shoes.

I can smell the aroma of freshly brewed coffee from here, so I run down the stairs, expecting to see my dad situated at the table. Alone. But, life just likes to throw surprises. I throw on a sweet smile. "Hello, Aunt Maribelle."

"Oh sweety! What a wonderful surprise to see you here!" I

Well duh. I kinda live here.

Aunt Mirabelle is my mother's sister, but she hates my guts- even though dad thinks that we love each other. For some reason, she blames me for my mother's death. I know she was really close to my mother, but I was like, twelve!

My dad grins. "Good morning, Love. You going out?"

I nod. "Yep. I'm going to eat brunch with Hunter, Estelle, and Lyka." I respond.

He nods back. "Alright. Be back by 4:00!" He yells before I wave and drive off to the cafe we're supposed to meet at. I open the door, the bells jingling. I scan the room for a familiar face but I don't find one. Huh. They must be running late. I take a seat near the window that had enough rooms for the four of us. Out of the corner of my eye, I see a figure coming up towards me. My introverted side starts to panic. I suck at conversations with people I don't know. Please don't talk to me. Please don't take to me. Please don't-

"Hey."

I look up from my phone. Then at the person standing next to me. A tall, light-browned hair boy stands in front of me. I look around. Is he talking to me?

"Yes. I am talking to you."

I chuckle nervously, then point to myself. "Me?"

"Yep."

"Oh. Uh, hi?"

The guy laughs. "As I said, hey. My name's Noah. Noah Smith"

I give him a polite smile. What does he want? He stares at me with beautiful, hazel eyes. "Um, my name is Catherine, but most people call me Cath?" I respond, almost as a question.

He nods, then takes the empty seat across from me. "What's a pretty girl like you doing all alone here?"

I blush at the compliment. "I'm waiting for my friends."

He gives me a cute smile. "Me too. So, you around here?"

"Yep."

"Oh cool. I've never seen you around before though. I'm guessing you don't go to Eastville high?" He says.

I shake my head. "Yeah, I don't." I reply, shocked that the dude- a total stranger - would tell a stranger where he went to school. For all he knows, I might be some physco kidnapper.

"Where you go then?" He questions. I give him a look, as if telling him he's crazy. He puts his hand up in defense, "Sorry. Too soon?" I nod, and we laugh together. I hear a ding from his phone. He picks it up and frowns. "Sorry Catherine, I got to go. See you around?"