Chapter nine - When called

When I get to school the next morning, everyone has smiles on their faces- probably from getting asked to the winter formal. But for me? I'm smiling because I had received an email this morning that my poem wasn't due yet. Which is good for me because I don't feel that my poem is good yet. It's not ready.

I get to my locker, pitting in the code before transferring some books. When I turn around, I almost crash into something- or more like, someone. I look up. "Lucas?" I say, recognizing his brown eyes looking down on me.

Yes, looking down. It may or may not be because I'm short.

He scratches the back of his head. "Whoops. Sorry, I wanted to scare you."

I roll my eyes. "Yeah right. Like you could scare me."

He chuckles. "Think what you want. Anyways, can I walk you to your class?" He questions. Wow. It's been a week and he already knows how to navigate through the school? During my freshman year, it took me like half the school year.

"What? No you don't have to. And how'd you figure out where is where in one week? It took my like four months!"

He laughs, closing my locker for me. I give him a look. "Well what can I say? I have great memory. Plus, my class is on the way to your class. Don't worry about it."

"Fine." I mutter.

We walk halfway in silence before he breaks it. "So, how've you been doing?"

I shrug my shoulders. "I dunno. Besides the fact that your brother is a complete jerk who embarrassed me publicly, in doing quite fine." I half smile, referring to the night of the party.

"Well at least I'm nothing like me brother." He jokes.

I grin. Time with Lucas is really fun. "How about you?"

"Eh. I could be better. My mom is still kinda upset over what happened and all, and her sad makes really just the rest of the family sad." He says quietly.

I frown. I don't know what happened to his mom, but it must've been terrible for them to want to move closer to their family. "Okay. Well how are you guys adjusting with the move?"

"Well, our neighborhood is really nice, and surprisingly the people are nice around here. The only thing is that my in my old house, my room was very decorated and it just feels really weird with blank white walls."

I give him a sympathetic smile. "I'm sorry. If you want, I could help you paint it."

His sad expression changes. "That would be great actually. More bonding time." He winks.

I lightly shove his shoulder. "You better hurry before you're late to class."

He laughs before waving, leaving me to find a seat in the classroom.

_____

I yawn, stretching before getting into my car, driving off to... you guessed it! Boba. After a long and stressful day, I really need a nice, large lavender milk tea with a bunch of mini boba. When I get there, I unbuckle my seatbelt before stepping out of my car taking a breath of fresh air. I smile to myself and lock the car as I reach the familiar building.

When I enter, however, I don't see a familiar face. Instead of Lyka or her grandma, an unfamiliar girl stands at the counter, counting money. She reminds me of someone, but I can't place who... I go up to the counter, smiling cautiously. "You're new." I state absentmindedly.

She looks at me weird. "Excuse me?" She looks offended. Oops. My bad.

I laugh lightly. "Sorry if I offended you. Where's Lyka?"

"I'm sorry?"

"I said, where's Lyka." I say again, slowly. Can she not hear or something?

She furrows her brows. "Look. I don't know what your talking about, but if you aren't gonna order, I suggest leaving before I call the cops on you."

What on Earth? I didn't even do anything wrong. Who is this lady?? I analyze her features. She looks around my age, with jet black hair and blue eyes- and she's taller than me, of course. She's the type of pretty that everyone wants to be, but doesn't mean she gets to be the boss of me. I roll my eyes. "You wanna call the cops? Call them." I dial Lyka's number.

Her mouth gapes. "Just get out!" She yells. Costumers turn at her tone. She mumbles a 'Sorry' before turning back to me. "I don't know what your problem is."

I shrug and walk out of the store to my car. Today is really not the best day, and on top of that, I can't even get boba? What kind of-

"Hello?" Lyka's voice snaps me out of my thoughts. She sounds... tired.

"Lyka? Are you alright?" I ask. "There's a strange lady manning the counter and she made me get out of the boba shop. Now I can't get any boba and you know that there's no other bo-" I stop when I realize I'm rambling and being incredibly foolish to just talk about myself when my friend is obviously not doing so well. "Lyka I'm sorry. What's wrong?"

I hear soft sobs before she answers me. "It's G-grandma." She cries, letting it out.

My eyes widen. "What? What happened Lyka? Do you need me to drive over there?"

"... please."

_____

Heyyy

Heyyy. Sorry for such a short chapter, and sorry for the long delay. I haven't had any time lately and I wrote this in the car. Hope it's remotely enjoyable. :3

-x