29. Goodbye °Sal°

29. Goodbye °Sal°

It was the day, the last day.

The last day of summer, the last day that (Y/N) would be in Nockfell. The last day that I would get to see her whenever I wanted. I felt bad for feeling upset, she was doing something she wanted, something she was excited about, something she dreamed of. But, I didn't want her to go.

She had orientation week, which meant I couldn't see her. She had class orientation every day, she had campus orientation, and so on and so forth. I didn't know if I could not see her.

We did plan on Skyping and all that, but she couldn't promise it. She didn't know what time everything would be over, and she was going to try and spend some time with her new roommate.

Her roommate was a girl from Savannah, a few towns south of us. Her name was Alex, and she was the female version of Larry in every way. I have no doubt that the two would get along.

"Alright, Bug. Are you ready?" Bryan, (Y/N)'s dad, asked. I sat on the front porch after helping pack a few things into his Jeep. You could tell he was sad as well, his eyes showed it, but other than that, he put up a good front.

"I think so." (Y/N) smiled. She said she wasn't nervous, but she was excited. Normally she would be drowning in anxiety, I was proud that she wasn't.

"Alright. Sal, will you run in and grab that last box off of the table?" Bryan asked.

"Sure." I opened the front door and walked inside, maneuvering my way around and into the dining room. A medium sized box sat on top. I grabbed it in my arms and walked out to the porch. I shut the door and walked towards the car. One the box and I were inside, Bryan backed out of the driveway and off down the road.

Two hours was a while to drive. I hadn't been in a car that long since dad and I moved. I had forgotten how cramped it was.

The car ride was quiet, except for the radio. (Y/N) sat beside me in the backseat, her hand resting in mine. We watched out our own windows at the passing foliage. Trees, grass, farm land, it all went by so fast, and before I knew it, 2 hours had passed and we we're there.

It took about an hour just to lug all of her stuff to her dorm. On the last trip we met Alex. She had long brown hair, which was piled into a tall, and fluffy, bun. She had on shorts and a Red Hot Chilli Peppers shirt and she sat on her bed, headphones on, playing a video game. Once she sensed us, she removed her headphones.

"Oh, hey." She said, nonchalantly. "You must be (Y/N), (Y/N)'s dad, and I'm guessing the boyfriend." She said, pointing at each of us.

"Yeah!" (Y/N) said, smiling. "It's nice to meet you."

"Yeah, you too." Alex grinned, "Sick mask by the way." She said, looking over at me.

"Thanks." I said.

"Anyway, make your self at home. Put your stuff wherever, I don't mind."

"Cool." (Y/N) said, dropping her last box on her bed. There wasn't much left for Bryan and I to do, but stand there.

"Well, I guess that's our cue." Bryan said, looking at his daughter. She smiled.

"Thanks, dad." She said, hugging him tightly. "I love you."

"I love you too, bug. Make sure you call me every day."

"Of course." She smiled, pulling away.

"Alright, I'll be back to pick you up on Friday. I'll let you and Sal say your goodbyes."

They hugged once more. He walked out the door and waited in the hallway for me.

She looked sad. She pulled me into a hug and we sat there for a moment. "This is gonna be something we will have to get used to." She said, laughing softly.

I nodded, "I think we will do alright."

°

Bryan dropped me off at home. I walked through the front door and down to the basement. Larry sat on the couch, playing a video game. He didn't notice that I came in, until I sat down.

"Shit!" He said jumping. "You scared me." He said, sinking into the back of the chair.

"Why are you sitting in the dark?" I asked.

"It's just not a good day." He said, putting the controller down. "I think Veronica and I are really done."

"I'm sorry, Lar." I replied. "What happened?"

"She's just back to her ways. She's constantly yelling at me, telling me what to do, you know?" He said.

I nodded. "Well, just know I'm here for you." I said, patting his shoulder. "Did you wanna go hang out in the tree house?" I asked. Usually it made Larry feel better.

He shook his head. "I think I'm just gonna go to bed." He frowned. "Thanks for the offer tho, Sal."

I nodded. "Alright, Lar. Goodnight."

"Night." He said, shuffling over to his room, shutting his door softly behind him. I pulled my phone out and sent a text message to (Y/N).

Me: Hey, I think Larry and Veronica broke up for good.
(Y/N): Aw man. Tell him I'm sorry.
Me: I will. How's it going?
(Y/N): it's going okay. It's strange being in a different bed.
Me: I bet. How's your roommate?
(Y/N): She's pretty cool. We talked a little bit before she left.
Me: Oh, okay that's cool.
(Y/N): yeah. Hey, I'm gonna go to bed, but I'll call you in the morning.
Me: okay, babe. Talk to you then.
(Y/N): okay. I love you. Goodnight :)
Me: goodnight. I love you too❤️

I walked over to my bedroom and opened the door. I picked up some dirty clothes and placed them in the basket before plopping down on my bed. I was tired, but I didn't think I could go to bed.

I got ready and took a shower. It didn't take long before I fell asleep, but sleep didn't last long.