The Shifter

Aim

He stands on the side like he used to. Aim has been with Kongpob since the young alpha was still a kid; befriending Aim like it was the normal thing to do. Aim had been reluctant at that time, knowing the difference between them immediately. His mother had always told him not to trust anyone easily, but Kongpob had always carried a smile that makes you feel comfortable.

    Aim was not a werewolf, unlike Dae and the others. He was a shifter, and when Kongpob asked him to go with him to the city to attend the university, well . . . Aim made a decision to trust him.

    Having a non-werewolf in a pack wasn’t unusual, but it was rare. And when Kongpob told him about his plans of forming his own pack, away from the shadows of his father’s, Aim puts his faith on him.

    Shifters are solitary beings naturally, so Aim kept to himself as always. He was always known as the quiet one in the pack, but he bears the most knowledge when it comes to the supernatural.

    So, it was a shock to him when Kongpob bit Arthit on his wrist instead of the neck like the norm.

    Aim sits beside Dae on the floor, not really minding anything. Arthit is still asleep, waiting for him to wake up, and their Alpha, Kongpob, sits on the bed beside the human.

    Well, used to be, that is.

    “Do you feel anything, Dae?” he asks the young beta beside him.

    Dae quirks a brow at him, looking at Kongpob before turning back to him.

    “Besides the additional bond, no.” Dae shrugs and adds, “Why’d you ask, P’?”

    “Nothing,” he mutters in response.

According to the old books, a bite on the neck signifies submission – an act of submitting yourself to your alpha, but a bite on the wrist is different. The left wrist is closest to the heart, and it’s one that forms stronger bonds. It signifies . . .

    He knows Kongpob is aware of their conversation - he’s always been like that, so Aim doesn’t say anything else. He wants Kongpob to know the implications of what he had done. Aim will be there if their alpha asks for questions, but for now he’ll just stand by the sideline like he used to.

    The future of their pack depends on it anyway.

--

Dae

He goes back to playing with the loose strands on his jeans. Dae can already feel the additional bond when their alpha bit the human.

    If he just closes his eyes he can feel it more; the warmth of the added member of the pack, the strengthening of their bonds, and with their alpha present, Dae feels a lot safer.

    But there’s something different this time.

    There’s this itchy feeling inside his chest that he can’t seem to scratch away, he feels giddy and excited for some reason. Dae feels like he’s full of energy, which is weird because he has just gotten back from their run with Aim, so he should be feeling relaxed just like any other time.

    He focuses his attention to the sleeping human. Kongpob is sitting close to Arthit and it makes him boil in jealousy.

    Dae is Kongpob’s first beta, so technically he should be the one closest to their alpha aside from Aim. But Aim is not a werewolf like him, and their bond is different from that of Kongpob’s bestfriend.