(19) Child Jim

[ your muse can be anything – roommate, security, the owner, etc – just state their role so I'm not confused. ]

James couldn't help it. The only feature visible in his eyes was fear, as he held the poor excuse of a school bag in his right arm, nearly shivering in front of the ugly man in front of him.

He was cornered by his bedspace owner. He was crying helplessly, and anything he'd say would make no sense. Others like him, only much older, looked at him in sympathy, without extending a hand to help at all. They couldn't, or they'd get kicked out too.

But he had to speak, that much was clear from the owner's body language. He was scared out of his mind, and the only thought that came was to apologise.

"S s s s–"

"SPIT IT OUT!"

"S-sorry! I w-won't d-do it ag– ag again," he stammered, hiccuping frantically towards the end.

The whip landed sharply on his frail stomach. He'd stolen some money from the owner so he could buy a book on a higher level of mathematics, but got caught, unfortunately. That book was the only thing he needed, when he read a bit of it in the school library.

At night, he'd have to sell drugs for his owner, sometimes buy them, and do so without getting caught. He was tiny, and looked very innocent, so nobody would suspect him. He was perfect for the job.

That was his job if he had to keep his small bed space. Not even a room, just about enough space on the dingy floor to spread a sleeping bag his size. He only had his school bag, and the books inside it, with a pencil. That was the sole reason for his existence. Mathematics.

"Hand me your allowance for the month," he bellowed, extending his hand.

Shaky hands reached over to a compartment in his sleeping bag, and he retrieved a few coins. He barely managed to keep himself alive on whatever scrap he could find. He never touched the money, he needed it for books.

He hesitated. He didn't want to give up his money. He'd given up so much to save it.

"Please –"