Chapter 14

The sounds of the dying Uruk-hai stop. Moments later, the women and children rush out from the caves. Eowyn runs to Aragorn and they hug. Patting Thalion, we trot away. When we go near the causeway, I jump off and pet my new friend.

"You were strong Thalion.", I praise him.

He raises his head like he already knew that.

"Roam around the fortress. I will find you later, ok?", I say.

He nudges my brused arm lightly, and clip-clops away. Over by the wall, I find Gimli. He is sitting on an Uruk smoking a pipe. Rohirrim start to clear the fallen bodies already. Legolas joins us.

"Final count; forty-two.", Legolas says smugly.

"Forty-two? That's not bad for a pointy-eared Elvish princeling." Gimli chuckles, "I myself am sitting pretty on forty-three."

Legolas's grin fades. The Uruk-hai Gimli sits on twitches slightly, causing an arrow to go through its head by Legolas.

"Forty-three.", Legolas smirks again.

"He was already dead.", Gimli says as his smile disappears.

"He was twitching!"

"He was twitching because he's got my axe embedded in his nervous system!", Gimli argues.

He pulls his axe handle out of the Uruk, making it twitch and spasm all the more.

"The competition was to see who killed the most Uruk-hai." Legolas brings up, "Not to see who can make them jerk in pain."

"Gah!" Gimli growls in defeat.

"What's your final count?", Legolas asks me.

"Forty-seven.", I say blankly.

"You won then!", declares Legolas.

"Next time I will beat you both!", Gimli promises.

"See you two later.", I walk off.

I feel Gimli's curious glance and Legolas's confused stare behind me. Not looking back, I find myself go up a flight of stairs and start to run. Uruks, men and elves lie scattered. Looks like the Rohirrim did not start to clear the rest of the levels yet.

I keep on running, until I kneel right in front of Haldir's body. He doesn't look like he is sleeping. He looks dead. Haldir is dead. I touch his cold face. The night before the Fellowship left Lothlorien comes into my mind, when Haldir and I were sitting by the fire.

What I saw in Galadriel's mirror, is it actually true? The assault on Lothlorien? Ada or Haldir torn from my life forever? In my heart, I know this is the last time we will both be at our place, together. The fire rises up slightly and crackles.

"You grow quiet Amber." Haldir notices, "Prestad?"
(Is there trouble)

"No." I shake my head, "No problem."

"You are thinking about something. We have been friends for a while, I know you.", Haldir stares me down.

"True.", I admit.

"I can read you like a book." Haldir says lightly, "Whatever you are thinking about is causing you pain. Tell me."

"I just don't want you to get hurt.", I blurt out before I can even think.

Leave it to Haldir to always coax something out of me. I take a deep breath, and continue,

"Or killed. I don't want anything to happen to my parents either."