Chapter 18; A Return to Normalcy

(Told from Loki's point of view)

"Get up. Get up!"

My eyes blinked open to see Harry standing over me. "You slept in. It's Tuesday."

"Oh damn." I mutter, wiping my eyes. The towel on my head slips off my now dry hair. Harry looks at it.

"What's this?"

I look back, still feeling tired. "I took a bath yesterday."

"A... bath?" Harry looked bewildered. I didn't really understand why.

And then it hit me.

"Well yeah, a... bath." I say. "No reason."

Harry looks down at the side of my bed, and picks up my golden egg. "Why is this out?"

"I keep it there."

"No you don't." He retorts. "It's been in your trunk this whole time."

"I'm pretty sure I know where I put things." I say.

"And I'm pretty sure you took this up to the prefect's bathroom last night." He spits.

We look at each other for an uncomfortable minute.

"So?" I say, trying my best to stay innocent.

"How'd you know the password, huh?" He questions.

"I got in through the window." I just remembered that there weren't any windows in there, but Harry wouldn't know that.

He inhales deeply. "You eavesdropped on me and Cedric at the ball, didn't you?"

I snort, finally able to let down my guard. "Well yeah, maybe you should be more careful about letting others overhear you. Why'd you send Ron away? He isn't even a champion."

He just looks at me.

"We were friends once. Maybe we still are, maybe we can just let this go." I sigh.

"I..." he begins. "I just... you exhaust me."

He walks away, leaving me on the bed.

No doubt, I got dressed feeling like an idiot. Why didn't I leave the towel there? Why didn't I put the egg away? I really didn't care that Harry knew, but maybe he would tell Hermione, and I wouldn't want that.

We didn't see Hagrid at all this week. Hermione was still talking to me, so at least I knew Harry hadn't told on me yet. I supposed he'd have to tell Hermione that he hadn't done anything yet in order to tell her that I had spied on him, and Hermione already thought Harry had a good idea about what the egg was about.

I saw Krum at the lake later that week. I was walking with Hermione, Harry, and Ron, and we saw him dive into the lake with nothing but swim trunks.

"It's January!" Ron mutters. "He must be freezing."

"Well it's a lot more cold where he comes from, I bet it feels warm today." Hermione says.

"There's still the giant squid." Ron says hopefully. Hermione casts a disapproving look at him.

"Hey Harry, take a hint." I wink at him. It was actually not a bad hint, but Harry clearly thought I was messing with him, so he scowled at me and looked at the ground.

The trio went to Hogsmeade next week, mostly to look for Hagrid. Once again, I stayed back, not wanting to return there under these circumstances. I used the time to catch up on homework and draw. I mostly procrastinated and looked out the window, but I got a little bit done. I went flying, as a hawk, and I read a little bit, but I mostly drew insulting caricatures of the other champions.