Chapter 5; The Family Reunion

(Told from Harry's point of view)

If this wasn't a sticky situation, I didn't know what was.

They had discovered Winky at the scene of the crime, where the Dark Mark was conjured. Barty Crouch disowned her, and Hermione seemed quite shocked.

"You guys ought to leave, for now." Amos Diggory comments, looking over at us. I didn't have any objections to this, but Ron seemed to.

"Wait! We still need Loki!" He said. I had completely forgot that Loki was still out there somewhere.

"Who are you talking about?" Barty Crouch interrupted angrily. "Who is Loki?"

"He's our friend." Ron said.

"He'll find his way back, besides, he doesn't seem very important anyway." Mr. Crouch interjects.

Ron didn't seem to stand for this. "Loki holds himself very high. You're lucky he didn't hear you—"

"As for that..." a clear voice came from behind the crowd. "You're also lucky I'm in a good mood."

Loki emerges from behind the pack of ministry officials, no longer wearing those hideous green boxers. Instead, he was wearing a large, black overcoat and heeled boots over tight pants and a leather undershirt, all decorated with hints of green and gold. I had seen him in this outfit before, when me and Ron walked in on him in the common room in our second year. The black really brought out the color in his eyes, which gave him that menacing, intimidating look to his face.

"Oh, Barty." He said in a sing-song voice. "Just don't forget me again, because next time I may not be so... forgiving." He drew out the last word very slowly, annunciating every syllable clearly.

Mr. Crouch seemed stunned into silence. "It was you! You conjured the Dark Mark!" He gasped.

"You dumbass." Loki said simply, walking over to us with his wand. "No, I did not conjure the Dark Mark. I'm not a homicidal lunatic whose only desire is to kill muggleborns. My girlfriend is muggle born, ok?"

Unfortunately, the outfit Loki was wearing did give him a distinctly villainous look, and he wasn't as great at convincing the officials that he didn't do it.

"Look, I didn't do it. There's nothing I can do to prove I didn't do it, you can only take my word, which is surely, positively, one hundred percent the truth."

They stare at him for a moment.

"Ok, I'm done with you guys gawking at me like an animal in a zoo." He says. "Come on. I don't know about you guys, but I'm more tired than Svartalf in sunlight. Come on."

Whatever he said about smart elves didn't make any sense to me, but we followed him on our way back to the tent anyway.

"You didn't conjure it, did you?" Hermione asked him.

"No!" Loki protests, sounding offended. "Of course not! I really do want to kill the person who cast it."

"Please don't." Hermione mutters.

We stand there in silence for a bit, when Ron blurts; "you have a girlfriend?"
"You didn't know?" Loki replies, smiling. I had realized no one had ever told Ron who had driven away the dementors at the lake last year.

"Oh yeah." Hermione muttered. "We... uh... can you tell him?" she nods toward me.

I rolled my eyes. "Loki banished the patronus last year... with some help from Hermione." I explain as simply as possible.

"What kind of help?" Ron asks suspiciously.

"They snogged." I say simply.

"And..." Loki continues. "I've considered her my girlfriend ever since."