That Blessed Day

As I lay my head on Maxon's chest, his heart beating through his shirt, I reflected on the events that occurred in the past 12 hours. Maxon made me his bride, then saw me with Aspen and chose Kriss instead. Rebels attacked and killed the King, Queen, Celeste, and many others. Aspen shoved me into the safe room, which I was in for God knows how long. Eventually, someone found me and I was brought to the hospital wing, where I found Aspen and Lucy, unsurprisingly in a relationship- I had my theories. Finally, I was brought to Maxon.

I opened my eyes and stared at my ring. Tears welled in my eyes again, and I nuzzled myself deeper into Maxon. He was stroking my hair. "America," he said.

"Hmm?"

"Kriss is still here, darling. We need to let her go gracefully, and if you didn't know, I'm not good with crying women." I let out a small laugh. "Shall I deal in the matter seeing as you're a little incapacitated at the moment?"

"I think that would be best."

I reluctantly rose from Maxon's arms and stood up. I walked to his mirror and finally got a look at myself. Mascara stains on my cheeks and eyes from crying, hair in a matted mess,  and my beautiful dress in rags from its shredding in the safe room. I laughed at my appearance. "I think I might go freshen up." No response. I turned around and Maxon was asleep. I smiled and went over to him, kissing his forehead.

As I walked through the halls, I realized how much damage the rebels had caused. Vases were shattered on the floor and I had to dodge shards in bare feet. Tapestries were torn from the walls, feathers and jewelry were scattered everywhere. By the time I reached my room, all I could do was cry. The mattress was on the floor, dresses were in the middle of the room, my piano had been dented and scratched with keys missing. I sat on the floor and cried, before I felt a hand on my shoulder.

"Please don't cry, lady. It's going to be okay." I looked up and Mary's face was above mine. Her cheeks were red and stained with tears. I rushed up to hug her and we held each other and cried. When we finally broke apart, I managed to ask her, "Where's Anne?" Mary's eyes welled with more tears and her voice quivered as she spoke. "She's gone, miss." More tears rolled down my face as I nodded solemnly. Anne. I would never see her again. My body heaved with sobs once again, and I collapsed on the floor. Mary sat with me and held me as I cried.

"Mary," I said groggily as my breathing steadied, wiping away my tears. She perked up. "Yes, miss?" I showed my left hand to her and she beamed with joy. "I knew you would be the One, miss." She hugged me tight. When we broke apart, she said, "You cannot wander around the palace looking like this. What in Heaven's name happened to your dress?" I giggled and Mary led me into the bathroom, where she washed my face and refreshed my makeup, and fixed my hair into a bun. She put me in a powder blue dress, so light it almost looked white. I stared at myself in the mirror. This was my new home.

Mary rushed back into the room with a little box in dark blue wrapping. "The King just sent this." I was about to ask why King Clarkson would send me a gift, but the sweeping of glass outside my door reminded me of the events that transpired earlier. I opened the box, and in it sat jewels the color of the sun surrounded by gold, reaching out from the jewels like a star. I brought a hand up to my mouth. "It's gorgeous. Mary, will you put it on for me?"

Mary reached up and placed the crown behind my hair. I looked even more radiant. "Thank you, Mary." I turned around to hug her. "I have some business to attend to." She nodded, breaking the hug. "Of course, my lady. I'll clean up here." She curtsied and started sweeping up shards of my jar. I walked out of the room, and saw maids and butlers working tirelessly on fixing the palace. Already things were looking cleaner. There were less bloodstains on the floor, which were being mercilessly scrubbed. The tapistries on the wall had been replaced, and new vases with new flowers were being placed back where they used to be. Window washers were already at work outside, and landscapers and gardeners were fixing the torn up grass.

I wasn't paying attention to where I was walking. I bumped into a disheveled, teary Kriss. She was carrying out a suitcase, and it fell on the floor. I rushed to help her pick it up, when she said, "No need, Your Highness." I looked up at her. "Kriss, are you okay?"

"No!" She yelled. "I almost got killed a few hours ago, and before that, Maxon was telling me all about our honeymoon that you're going on with him. Now, I'm being forced to leave."

I looked at her with sadness. "Kriss, I-"

"No, I will not have any of your pity, America." She help up a hand. "You've already done enough. Enjoy your life here. For me." Her voice was sad, but her eyes could have cut me. And with that, she walked off, her heels echoing in the halls, sniffing as she went. My heart sunk.

Suddenly, a guard approached me. "Your Highness, the king requires your presence in the throne hall."

He escorted me to a place I'd never been, with the highest ceilings I'd ever seen. Grand pillars of marble lined the walls, and golden statues were placed between them. There was a portrait of King Clarkson, Queen Amberly, and a younger Maxon. He must've been 15, but he was still as handsome as ever, with a more childish look in his eye. I turned the corner, and there sat Maxon on his throne wearing a crown that looked too uncomfortable to be real.

I walked over to him. "Kriss just left."

He sighed. "Yeah, I know. I heard her crying as she left." Maxon still was bothered if he hurt any girl that went through the Selection. He would always care about those girls, albeit not in a romantic way. I hugged his right side, sparing any more puncturing from his bullet wound. I ran my fingers across the gauze under his shirt. "Was that really today?" I whispered. He shuddered and looked at the portrait of his family. "Yes."