Unexpected Guests

It had been six days since Maxon and I returned from Fiji. In the lonely hours in the Women's Room, I filled the time with sweet memories of our time on the island. With Maxon being king, it was difficult to see him during the day. Although Marlee and Carter weren't confined to the kitchens anymore, they chose to spend a lot of time alone together since being free of any obligations to anyone. That left me alone to wander.

Sighing, I stood up from my chaise in the Women's Room. The TV droned on in the background, but I figured it would get turned off for me. In my few weeks as being queen, more and more things began to be out of my control. Everyone either did things for me, or tasks were completed without my knowledge. While I appreciated the help, I missed having something to do. Silvia still roamed the halls, but I hadn't seen her since the wedding. I figured she was off somewhere, planning to host another event. Maxon told me that the first few years after the prince married, the palace was constantly hosting events. Everyone needed a look at the newly weds, and the girl who had been a commoner that was swept off her feet to live in an opulent home with servants to wait on her every need.

The palace was in what the maids referred to as "ordinary time." There was nothing extraordinary occurring at the moment; no guests, no holidays, no reason to celebrate. The halls were quiet as I paced through them, humming a melody I had been creating in my head since I arrived at the palace. It hadn't even been a year since I was here. Hell, it hadn't even been a year since the Selection was announced. 12 months ago, the most exciting thing in my life was scrambling into the tree house to kiss Aspen. Maxon was merely a person I watched on TV occasionally. Now, I had hundreds of people ready to die to protect me. I still felt like some nobody Five from a small Carolina town.

The guards were more relaxed and the maids walked with less anxiety in their steps. I knew it was because Maxon was more lax than his father. The country mourned for their monarchs, but I think the queen was missed more than King Clarkson. Maxon missed them, but in some ways, the death of his father freed him and allowed him to help nurse this aching country back to life.

I was trying to make my way up the fourth floor library, where older books were housed. As I walked through the palace, I took in the beautiful scents of the fresh flowers that stood proudly in their long vases. The tapestries fluttered gently as breezes came in through open windows. It was quieter than it had ever been- no high heels clicking on the marble floors, no faint giggling echoing around the halls. It even felt empty without King Clarkson or Queen Amberly. It was truly desolate. Maxon and myself, Marlee and Carter, some royal advisors, and a slew of guards and maids who kept to themselves most times.

Before reaching the stairwell to the fourth floor, I decided to walk around the third floor. Before becoming queen, this floor had been off limits. My room and Maxon's were up here, but there were still corners I had yet to explore. I didn't get too far before I saw a group of advisors leaving Maxon's office. When they passed, I curtsied to them.

"Gentlemen," I said, addressing them.

A couple of them chuckled.

"Your Majesty, you don't have to bow to us," one said jokingly. My cheeks reddened. It would take years before I'd be used to people bowing to me.

"Right, so sorry," I mumbled. They bowed and went on their way. I sighed through my teeth and, with as much grace as possible, walked to Maxon's door. I knocked gently.

"Kline, it will have to wait," I heard Maxon call from inside. I opened the door slightly and saw an irritated Maxon with his head in his hands, fingers rubbing his temples.

"I said not now, Kline!" Maxon exclaimed, looking up, his brown eyes exhausted. He immediately softened when he realized it was me. "Oh, America, I'm so sorry!" He rose from his seat and jogged to me. Maxon picked me up and spun me in a circle before setting me back down. I pulled him in for an embrace and stroked his back.