Chapter 4

"Where are we, Fred?" Brian questioned from the backseat as our van pulled into the parking lot of what appeared to be a desolated beach. It wasn't shocking, though, seeing as it was that awkward period between the end of winter and beginning of spring. What was shocking was that Freddie brought us here of all places. The beach was the last place the man wanted to be seen, something about the stares, the indecipherable chatter he pretentiously thought was about him, and the sand getting all in his shoes and clothes.

Freddie shut the car off and turned his head back over his shoulder, a wicked smile plastered on his face. "A place where no one can bother us, my dear."

"And what's that supposed to mean?" John chimed in, shooting one of his damn amused grins across the center console as he crossed his arms over his chest.

"It means we can do whatever the fuck we want, darling!" he replied enthusiastically, pinching the bassist on the cheek and jumping out of the vehicle, running out to the deserted beach and tumbling down into the cold sand like it was a warm field of grass. The three of us left behind shared an annoyed look. Well, at least Brian and I did. John just kind of sat there, looking to us for his next move.

I heaved a sigh and clung to the back of the passenger seat, resting my chin on the top of it and telling him, "You don't have to follow him if you don't want to. We all know this is stupid."

"I-I don't know," the frizzy-haired newbie stammered, "I kind of like the idea of taking the day off. Don't you?"

Brian rested his mane of curls back on the headrest and closed his eyes, muttering, "We all would like a day off, John, but it's just not—"

"What are you all waiting for?" Freddie's voice cut the guitarist short, attracting our attention to him as he threw handfuls of sand into the air like it was glitter or confetti. "It's lovely out here! Come join me!"

John glanced back at Brian and me for a split second before making up his mind and leaving the van, closing the door behind him with an unintentional slam and abandoning the two of us in the backseat. I covered my face with my hands as I mumbled somewhat jokingly, "It's official, Bri. We've lost him to Freddie."

"No, I don't think we have," he retorted calmly, turning his head to face me and reveal the smirk his lips had formed into, "I actually think he quite fancies you."

I laughed, meeting his presumptuous gaze. "Me? You think he fancies me?"

"Yes, and if I do say so myself, I think you fancy him too. You're just too stubborn to admit it." He poked me in my side, throwing me back into the closed van door. His smirk broke out into a full-on grin. "Jumpy much, aren't we?"

My eyes remained locked on his for what felt like an eternity before I severed the connection, averting my gaze out the windshield to where Freddie and John had ventured towards the body of water, the bottom of their pants cuffed up on their ankles so as to prevent them from getting wet. "What makes you think I fancy him? Of all people, why him? I barely know the lad."

Brian leaned closer to me to get a better look at the scene and, after enduring the silence that had filled the confined space, murmured, "Rog, I've known you for how long? We're practically brothers. I know it when you like someone and when you don't."

"Paul," I instantly growled under my breath, narrowing my stare.

He chuckled. "Yes, Rog. We all know about Paul; you don't need to keep bringing him up." I glanced over at him and his light, almost reminiscent expression darkened. He sat up, effectively widening the shortened distance between him and me, and cleared his throat. "My point is, you've been doing this thing for a while—"

"What thing?" I interjected.

Before I could get an answer, the van door behind Brian slid open, revealing a soaking wet Freddie and a relatively dry John—both panting as if they'd just run a marathon. "Boys, you have to take a swim with me," the dark-haired singer insisted, "It's absolutely divine!"

"He's just saying that so someone else will get a cold with him," John added softly, his eyes finding their way to mine and his cheeks turning an ever so slight shade of red. I wondered if he noticed it like I did, or if Brian did. With the way he was talking, I bet Brian picked up on all the little things like that, he just never told anyone about it.

Freddie gasped and playfully smacked John on the arm, ripping the bassist's attention away from me. "Liar!" he exclaimed with a false sense of anger, the start of a laughing fit breaking through his facade and getting John to laugh with him.

Brian shook his head and pushed past the two men who had stumbled away from the vehicle, doubled over and leaning on one another as they tried to catch their breaths. I rolled my eyes—unable to hold back the grin that accompanied the gesture—and got out too.