30. A Writer's Perks

I chewed on the end of my pen, using my other hand to click my freshly-manicured nails against my notebook while I pondered.

Over the past four months, my notebook had become more and more worn with my scribbles of notes that regarded the lives of my seven best friends.

Because four months ago, my seven ex-dolls asked me to write up their entire life story and find them jobs.

“We want to fit in,” Namjoon had said to me. “How can we do that when our entire lives up to this point are filled with blank chapters and missing pages?”

“How can I help you? What do you want me to do?” I had asked, eager to help them settle with the rest of society.

“You're a really great writer,” Jungkook had complimented with a smile, the hint hidden in his tone.

“Yeah, we read your wattpad books while you were at work and left us here.” Jimin had admitted, the smallest hint of guilt in his face.

I had internally groaned at the reminder, but didn't scold them.

“We were wondering if you could use your gift to invent our backgrounds,” Hoseok had vocalized the request for all of them.

And so I did, doing my best to coordinate their stories with their personalities.

Jin, who I decided would be the oldest, grew up with an older brother whom he enjoyed playing video games with. He was always someone who was shy, grew up with a passion to cook, and had a dominant silly side that sometimes got in the way of his serious side.

Yoongi, younger than Jin but older than the rest, also grew up with an older brother. Though he was someone more quiet and rude, he was someone with wisdom beyond his years and a big heart beneath all of his layers of ice.

Hoseok, whose age preceded Yoongi's, grew up admiring his older sister. He was always someone with a passion for kindness and happiness which shined in his body language.

Namjoon, whose age settled in the middle of all seven but older than me, was a leader. He grew up with a younger sister and taught himself English to develop his communication skills and understand people other than himself as it is an international language. He also taught the others.

Jimin, who I decided was younger than me along with the final two, had a younger brother. He was someone who made perverted jokes to cover his insecurities, but over time he became more confident in himself until they genuinely were jokes.

Taehyung, who would be slightly older than Jungkook, had younger siblings which brought out his childish side. Though Taehyung would seem dense, he developed a love and understanding of people that eventually outweighed his childish side.

Jungkook, the youngest, also had an older brother that he looked up to. He was someone that was always athletic and competitive with a strive to always be better.

And they all supposedly moved to America, from South Korea, for greater opportunities and experiences. They grew up teaching themselves English so that they could achieve that goal.

It all was supposed to lead into their lives with me.

In the end, I got Namjoon to replace Logan as my coworker at the bookstore. It allowed us time to bond over our love for books and our manager, Sarah, grew fond of him right away.

Hoseok, on the other hand, took over my side job at the restaurant as a waiter. He adored serving customers and putting smiles on people's faces wheras I couldn't stand being around people.

Jin was hired to help out at a bakery. He already knew how to cook, so he was excited to learn how to bake different treats to surprise the rest of us with.

Jungkook and Taehyung became baristas, which was nice because they made an effort to bring me my iced coffee everyday.

Yoongi continued to sleep.

And Jimin started working at a movie theater. It wasn't his favorite place to work, but he managed and got along just fine. He never once complained, knowing that one day he could achieve something better for himself.

They weren't the best paying jobs they could ever get, but it was enough to help them move into their own place.

My apartment had grown crammed for eight adults, so eventually, they slowly moved into a house until only Jungkook, Yoongi, and Taehyung were still living with me and helping out with the bills.

They had intentions of eventually moving out as well, but I didn't mind holding on to them for a little bit longer.

My notes dampened with tears the more I thought about everything that had been going on.

“Noona,” Taehyung kneeled by my lap to look up at me and wipe the tears from my face with a single swipe. “Why are you crying?”

My sorrowful gaze travelled from my notes to his face, my bottom lip beginning to quiver.

“It's just,” I sobbed, moving my fingers to smear under my eyes while turning my attention to him. “You guys are all grown now, and you're leaving me behind.”

Kitty meowed at my feet in agreement. She purred as she turned to rub her head against my leg.

Taehyung captured both my hands in his own, giving them a gentle squeeze.

“Y/N, we'll never leave you behind. You've shaped us and we love you so much. We're grateful for everything you've done for us since the day you opened the dollhouse and found us breathing inside.”

He rubbed a thumb across my knuckles while he collected his thoughts, staring at the planes of my hand.

“I mean, though we're dolls, I'm always going to be that silly guy that loves nursery rhymes.” He grinned. “And Jimin is always going to be making his perverted jokes, and Yoongi is always going to be a pain in your a—”

“Hey,” I scolded. “Language.”

He chuckled, smiling my favorite boxy smile of his. “The point is, we're always going to be your dolls. We're still the same way you remember us as long as you find a way to let us continue living in your memory. No one can take that away from you, no matter when or how we move on from here.”

I sniffled once more, the blur of tears in my vision clearing with contentment. “Thank you, Taehyung. You've grown the most and I'm so proud.”

I reached out to stroke his face, prompting him to close his eyes while I traced his features with my fingers.

And then his eyes were wide with affection and he dared to drown me in them for a solid second.

He opened his arms and enclosed me in them, moving off his knees so that he could pick me up and hug me tightly in his arms, Kitty zooming out of the way in the process.

“No, Noona, thank you.”

The smile was still bright on my face after he released me and stared back into my eyes.

“Now, can you please help me with my suit? I have a date tonight and Hoseok and Jin are going to walk me over.”

I nodded, already smoothing out his collar and wiping away my tears that stained it. “Of course. But Hoseok can't come inside when they get here—he keeps trying to steal Kitty from me.”

Taehyung burst into laughter at the recollection of the memory, his giggles filling the apartment until Yoongi yelled at him to shut up from another room.

         ___

this was kinda a filler lol oops.

only five more chapters my loves!!

there's one more surprise coming up sometime within those five. what do you think it is?

and who do you ship Y/N with the most??