Chapter 29: Let's

I have to be honest here, but it left me spooked. Yhan's grandfather was blind. A coping mechanism of his eternal darkness that he started talking to himself, maybe? There were so many things running on my mind that I hadn't noticed that I was already staring into space at the table. 

" Earth to Mau. Hello?" Kim asked with chunks of egg inside her mouth, waving her hand in front of my face. 

I turned to Kim, and then turned to the others. Color started to flush away from my face. " Sorry." I blushed. I started eating. 

Yhan looked at me and then to her grandfather, who was sitting at the edge of the table. If somebody would see us right now, they'd probably think that we were grandfather and grandkids. " Is it safe to go out today Grandpa?" 

He nodded, sipping his coffee. We all let out a breath of relief. That was the first good news I've heard in days. There was something in his words when he mentioned that death was already outside waiting for us the previous night. There was certainty. And thus, we placed our undying trust in his words without saying a word. 

I looked at the old man. His wrinkles were visible, his white hair messy. He was staring into space still sipping his coffee. And I thought about the scene I saw earlier. He was talking to himself. The taste of bacon brought me back from my thoughts.

" What do we have planned for today Sir?" I asked. Yhan and Kim both looked at me, amazed that I had the courage to throw a blunt question so early in the morning. I shrugged at them. 

" For that..." he turned to us. I knew that he mainly depended on his sense of hearing but every time he would turn to someone talking, it would make me think otherwise." ... we have to go to the basement." 

We exchanged glances and once again, quietly nodded. We needed answers and we were about to have them here in this house.

***

Mac had his back on me as he stared outside the guest room's window. I couldn't tell what he was thinking but I knew he had his worries. I walked to his side. 

" You always have the option to walk out the door, you know." I said.

It was his choice, not mine. To be honest, I didn't want him to. I didn't want what happened to Alfred would happen to him right where I can't keep watch. I wouldn't like that at all. I wanted him to be with us. To be with me where I could watch him like a hawk. But at the same time, I didn't want him here. For whatever we were about to do, it'd be too dangerous for someone who wasn't included mainly in our affairs. But like what I said, it was his choice. In or out.

I pursed my lips and waited for his answer, hoping for a yes and at the same time, hoping for a no. We had no other option here. 

Mac looked at me and smiled. His glasses giving away my reflection. 

What are you talking about? You turned to me for help and now that you've got even bigger help, you're asking me to walk out the door?" He shook his head and smiled. " No way, you're not."

I smiled back at him and gave him a soft pat on the shoulder. Thanks, Mac. 

" Basement's this way." 

We turned to Kim at the door. She was leaning against the door post with one knee propped up and her hands across her chest. " In case, you know, you lost your way." She stared at us for a moment and smirked, shifiting her weight to stand. " But as far as what I'm seeing, I think you're not." 

I gave her a tongue out and she giggled and walked happily out of sight. 

I let out a sigh and turned back at Mac. " Let's go."

Mac smiled back. " Let's."