Chapter 30: Go

We were in the basement. The scent of dust and molt lingered in the air. There were boxes stacked on top of each other, and stuff that were here ever since who knows when. Cobwebs were visible in the corners of the room and we could hardly breathe from all the dust that accumulated. 

But we didn't have any other choice. 

We needed an isolated room such as this. And a cold one, at that. Sir, ( since I didn't know his name and this was what I always addressed him with), said it so himself. And this was the perfect place.

I looked at Yhan as she was placing candles, forming them in a circle. The Ouija Board was surrounded by small lights flickering and a trail of salt. What it was doing there, I haven't figured it out yet. My heart raced. I didn't know what I have gotten myself into and it was too late to turn back now. I wanted to help but the thought of helping form your own death? No thank you. 

Yhan's grandfather was sitting on a stool just in the corner of the room. Yhan was doing all the work for him. Kim, Mac and I were just standing there, scanning the room and scrutinizing at the man-made circle.

" Done!" Yhan said as she clasped her hands together, cleaning off the dust that was on her hands. " We're all good to go." 

" Okay, kiddos. Everyone, form a circle." Sir instructed. The word kiddos made me smirk though. 

Yhan and Kim started to squat down on the cold dusty floor as there were candles placed in front of them, like how we told ghost stories back in Yhan's house. That started the hauntings and we were about to do it once more. I let out a deep breath.

I noticed Mac going to the circle. I grabbed his arm. He turned to me. I shook my head. 

" Mac, you aren't part of this." I said. " Just watch us do this. But I don't want you joining in." I was usually the funny friend, but this time, I decided to throw it all away. 

He looked at me with eyes that go beyond wonder. I knew he was telling me to stop before it's too late. But I have a head as hard as a rock, and he knew that. And besides, if we wouldn't do this, I'd have nightmares for dinner every night. I wanted answers too and we were one step close to it. He sighed and touched my hand. " Please." he paused. " Be careful."

I silently nodded and went to join my part in the circle. I turned to Mac and he sat on one of the stairs' steps.

I turned back to Yhan and Kim who were waiting for my go signal. 

My heart was pounding. I was so nervous but this we have to do. 

I inhaled and exhaled. " Let's do this."